Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: XXP4 and web safe fonts

Actually, proper use of the ALT text attributes are most important to Google and so is using a sensible name for the image itself.
    For example, a corporate heading image named: header.gif is useless to Google (can you imagine how many header.gif names are on the internet??), better it is named visual-net-corporate-logo.gif, this Google can use.

So yes, use a fancy font as an image, but remember to make use of the ALT attribute to describe it with text. It's why it exists.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMoyer View Post
    I have just finished creating my website with XXP4. I am sure that some of the fonts used are deemed NOT to be web safe. However, I used them in graphics and then saved them/used them as .png graphics. Does that allow visitors to view them as I had intended - even though they may not have that font installed on their system? Thanks.

Bob

PS. Since I used XXP4 and I will have more questions before I upload this site, is this still the proper forum in which to ask my questions?
    If you need any more help with creating websites using Xara Xtreme 4, there is a tutorial on my website.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMoyer View Post
    ...The fonts that I had used were in buttons/icons that I saved as .pngs.
    Google doesn't gather text from buttons that I am aware of so Bob need not worry about search engines.

Bob the text on your button will appear as you intend. As Allison pointed out your buttons are png files and are bitmap graphics.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Actually, proper use of the ALT text attributes are most important to Google and so is using a sensible name for the image itself.
    For example, a corporate heading image named: header.gif is useless to Google (can you imagine how many header.gif names are on the internet??), better it is named visual-net-corporate-logo.gif, this Google can use.

So yes, use a fancy font as an image, but remember to make use of the ALT attribute to describe it with text. It's why it exists.
    Thanks sledger for the hint ;-))

I had not optimized this site, but this site here is totally optimized to the search engine entires:
    http://www.fusion-schulungen.de (one of my own sites)

"NetObjects Fusion Schulungen" (NetObjects Fusion lessons or teachings)
    and if you search in Google you can find it No1 and my own website, wich is not so strong optimzied for this on page rank No 4 - so this was my goal and i reached it in direct relation to my competitors - i can bring more examples if you want -

So my knowledge shows:
    as i said before: Headings are more important in my case as my alt-tags but this depends on how the competitors had used alt tags - there are recommendations that can be made to optimize a webpage for search engines but every recommendation has to stay a comparision with the competitors - that is the rule and if you follow this line your webpage will make it to the top 10 in google - i had done this often and i when i optimize a webpage for searchengines i only get paid if i it succeeds if not i get no money...

Michael
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 02 March 2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: fix broken quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by visual-net View Post
    I had not optimized this site, but this site here is totally optimized to the search engine entires:
    http://www.fusion-schulungen.de
    Since you promoting your links, I think we can criticize it, right?
    So, it fails to pass W3C validation with "46 Errors, 5 warning(s)" result. It is also of the deprecated HTML 4.01 Transitional type.
    So it looks like you oprtimized this site more for search engines than for browsers, right?

Seriously though, regarding positions on Google, I'm not expert at this, but as far as I remember correctly, the Google rating more depends on how many sites refer to this one and the rating of those sites. I think this is more important than the H1 or font size or position on the page of any text you may like. Otherwise it would be much too easy to fool this search engine. And it is not.
    Last edited by covoxer; 03 March 2009 at 06:34 AM.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    Since you promoting your links, I think we can criticize it, right?
    So, it fails to pass W3C validation with "46 Errors, 5 warning(s)" result. It is also of the deprecated HTML 4.01 Transitional type.
    So it looks like you oprtimized this site more for search engines than for browsers, right?
    Hi John,

since i work with fusion i know about W3C validations and that no fusion-site stand this test - no matter what site you run through this i do not take care about this and even not the big players - for instance Microsoft:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ww...Inline&group=0

So - as long as my customers do not surf with the right-mouse click to peek at the code i do not take care about this - the only thing is:
    They must run in FF/NS/IE or in Safari - With this my customers are surfing (Safari not so often so i do not test this seriously)

Michael

Yes, I see.
    Well, if search results are important, and you ready for some optimizations, and if indeed Google cares a lot about <h1>, then there's no prblem to add it to the WD design.
    You can simply create a placeholder with content like this:

<div style="visibility:hidden;"><h1>The text to search for as a valid header.</h1></div>

It will do the trick.
    John.

Default Re: <div style="visibility:hidden;">

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    You can simply create a placeholder with content like this:
    <div style="visibility:hidden;"><h1>The text to search for....</h1></div>
    Thanks, John. I've been looking for a way to do this.
    Charlie