Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Shrinking a logo makes it pixelate?

Looks like ive encouraged a healthy debate here

i will ask him tommorow to confirm what he used and how he used it.

on different note the reason i started this thread was to find out how to shrink my logo and then make it glossy or glassy like the .swf file i attached. i dont suppose any of you could point me to a tutorial please?

regards
    Neil

Gary John, I'm sure it's the same font but 'like' SHANGO BOLD rather than is SHANGO BOLD. I tend to agree with John that some manipulation has been done to give it a newer appearance to the standard face.

However, you are quite right Neil, sorry for my part in taking your OP off-topic.

As for the NORTHOP GIRLS FC logo, if you haven't done anything with Hans' file, could you post your original .xar file?

hi Steve,

no i havn't done anything with Hans file yet. and i havn't actually done anything with Xara yet either, LOL

it so damn confusing, i havn't had the time to stop everything else and just sit and read / watch on how to use it.

Ah - the logo you posted wasn't one that you'd actually made?
    You can resize the logo in Xtreme using the shape editor.
    Xtreme will automatically adjust the dpi to retain the detail during this editing.
    Take a screenshot (PrtScr) and paste this into Xtreme.
    Crop/intersect (Ctrl+3) the reduced logo with a circular shape and add a black circular shape behind just slight larger than the logo.
    Clone the black shape (Ctrl+K) give it a thick line and remove the fill.
    Clone the line and increase the thickness.
    Convert the line to a shape (which make the line a ring shape) and colour it white.
    Use the feather tool to soften the ring edges which reveals the black line behind.
    Use a linear transparency to fade the ring colour across the diameter.
    Clone the ring, and move the transparency control to the opposite edge to reacreate the effect in your .swf example.
    For the face shine, create an ellipse shape, no line, white fill.
    Position it as required, give it a flat transparency, group the shape (to itself, in other words, the shape and effect are grouped) and then give it a linear transparency.

For more on shiney affects you can refer to Garys tutorials .

Note: I should point out the the RB logo on the right is a screen grab of Neil posted .swf to which he referred to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NHGFC.png 
Views:	171 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	56630  
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 22 February 2009 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Add note

You mean like this?

This will be the March Xara Xone tutorial to be posted on March 1.

Gary

Name:	new-windows.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	56632  

I'm not trying to take the thread off topic again but the font used by the original designer on a Mac is Shango-regular.

I asked Neil to send me the font he received from the designer so I could make a Windows version for him. Unfortunately the designer did not compress the font before sending an all the extra info to make a Type1 font work on a Mac was included making it difficult to convert.

In the attached image all the information before the highlighted text is extra data only used by a Mac. Although there are also extra data scattered through out the file that make conversion to Windows Type1 difficult to nearly impossible.

My only point is to remind designers to zip or use stuffit before sharing fonts between Mac and Windows.

Name:	shango.gif 
Views:	162 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	56633  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

@Steve

thank you for your guidelines. I cannot explain just how much of a beginner i am to all this, every step you have explained in your post (other than take screen grab and paste into xara, and your preset shortcut options) will see me have to go away and learn what is it, where it is and how to use it etc. As i explained when i came on the forum my only other experience in this field was with Paint.net and my sum total even with that, was to alter photo's and map sizes and add captions and the like. I havn't actually created or altered anything in any program in my life. So please forgive me if something you all do in a blink of an eye ends up taking me days / weeks even. Its not that im sat here expecting it to be done for me, its just that even the simplist most basic task you guys could think of is a whole new world for me. (surely you must have worked this out by now, lets be honest i didnt' even know how to resize my own image)

@Gary

thank you for the tut pointer

@Bill

i think what they are saying is that the logo he made for us does not use shango regular, even though he says he did and also sent me shango regular too. I will confirm today exactly what he's used.

Neil

Neil

We all started out as newbies and asked every newbie question you could imagine and then some. The important thing is, you have taken the step and are now on your way.

I don't wear a hat but if that font turns out to be Shango Regular, I'll eat my hat.