Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Comments Box system as used on youtube?

Hi,

Due to an ongoing issue with our junior girls football club, we have set up a page dedicated to the issues we are suffering, we have been asked by many people if we can set up a message box system where people can leave comments/opinions etc.

I have found several but they all seem to be more like chat boxes like msn messenger. Ideally we need one similar to the type used on youtube for viewers to leave feedback.

So my question is, does anyone know of a solution. I use dreamweaver for our site, but i have to warn you, just as im a novice in xara im also a learner with websites too. I have been reading up on a couple of meesage solutions however... php, mysql and the like mean nothing to me sorry.

here's the page along with a chatbox i've added http://www.nhgfc.co.uk/nhg_shocking.html
    but its very basic and does not allow line breaks.

regards
    Neil

Default Re: Comments Box system as used on youtube?

Couldn't you just link one of the free blogs available and have a blog running on a particular topic?

There are lots of free blogs available, most allow you to host them on your own server.

i've looked at these and they too require php and mysql work, as i mentioned above i do not have any knowledge of these.

there must be a way to get this working another way surely?

A 'Visitor Comments' system is always going to require a database system of some kind.
    'FlatFile' databases are text based and do not require complex sql.
    SimplePHPBlog is an easy to setup blogging system which uses a FlatFile and includes a 'Vistor Comments' system.
    It's quite powerfull and easy to manage (don't let the SimplePHPBlog bare-bones homepage fool you - I used it for my own quickie site recently.)

Niel, you could try Dreambook. It's easy to set up and probably will do what you want. Biggest problem with these systems is they're prone to Spam so they need dedicated attention to remove it. A bit like TG in that manner!
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

hi, cheers for the help fellas,

after trying over a dozen different products all without success (and most of them not what we needed anyway) i visited Sledgers site and was impressed with the one he recommended.

I downloaded it, installed php etc, follwed the instructions to the letter and still i get problems!!

I got on the phone to our hosting provider who informed me that "your site is perfect for running these types of things, its pretty much plug n play for you" he said.

I asked him to check from his end explaining that im a complete numpty at all this, (i could see his eyes rolling down the phone) But guess what... he couldn't get it to run either, LOL

They are passing it on to one of their web engineers to double check the permissions for our package as he reckons they are all set to work??

Nadger strikes again!! (like i told you in one of my xara requests... if there is something so simple you dont even thinks its worth a mention then im the lad who'll miss it out)

im not going to try anything else for now, they said they'll email me within 24hrs regarding this so its feet up time.

regards
    Neil

Niel it's very simple to set up. Maybe you're over thinking it?

I am willing to help you set it up if you wish. You can contact me via email at sledger [at] gmail [dot] com (also used for google talk if you use it)

Steve

i have mailed you twice but you havn't replied. did you receive my emails at all?

Neil
    Regards
    Neil

Hi Neil, please see PM.