Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Exporting artwork to MS Word

Quote Originally Posted by willdean View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't think Xara is really the best tool for doing complicated multi-page documents with lots of tables, hierarchical numbered headers, etc.

I know you could do it, just as you could do all the illustrations in Word, I think it's just better to use tools which are most suited to the job.
    Ok my bad.

I didn't recall reading that the issue was about complicated multi-page documents with tables, hierarchical numbered headers, etc.

Back in the day when laser printers first came out and I couldn't use Word to put in my nice ancestral charts, I wrote my own printer routine in BASIC and printed the charts on a separate page keeping in mind precisely where the graphics stopped and started.

As Word and the use of it became more complicated, I found that printing out documents with graphics first made a nice template of which I could add text or tables from Word later.

I even figured out that even text wrap around the graphics could be faked if one would take the time to do so and knew the exact layout of the documents.

Needless to say, I was educated rather rapidly when I found out that printer/publishers who did magazines and fancy brochures often do multi-pass printing on a daily basis. That is, they know from their layout where their graphics exist and the layout of their text existed to a precise degree.

Word is not a desktop publishing software that is as sophisticated as some, but I managed to produce some nice research documents that still exists in some libraries around the US.
    Last edited by jamesmc; 22 February 2007 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by willdean View Post
    Thanks for this - interesting idea, but I'm really looking for something that doesn't require lots of fiddling with the image before transferring it...
    I had already came across this problem. The above is the only solution I have found, although I don't do the recombination in Xara. WMFs hold other problems as well, such as not being able to contain gradients properly. Files of PNGs were the only true solution I came across as I don't have another program such as AI to try.

Best wishes.

Unless I'm misreading your problem, when it comes to importing image files to MS Word 2007, I just use the Insert command and the Picture icon to insert an image, photo etc.

When it is displayed on the new document, you click on it once and the sizing handles show up- that in conjunction with Page Setup to adjust the margins, has made a nice clean import of any image or photo I've ever done. By resizing the image, you can add other images (and resize them too) on the same page if you want.

Hope that helps!

Not sure if you are still struggling with this issue...

I have created many Word documents (technical manuals, user guides, etc) that have incorporated both line art and photos that were created/edited in Xara Xtreme. The method that I have adopted and found to produce excellent results is as follows.

Set up the page size in Xtreme to match that of Word (eg. A4 or Letter). This way you have a relative view of the size of your image as it will appear in MSWord.
    Create the image that you require.
    Select the image you have created (not needed if you require all the graphic objects in your Xtreme document - ie. exporting all objects).
    Export your graphic as a .tif format, setting the dpi to 300dpi. In this format, the resolution can be adjusted while the physical size of the bitmap remains exactly as defined by your drawing.
    When you import the tif file into your Word document, you should find that the image size is exactly as you specified/defined in your Xtreme drawing.
    I would normally set the colour depth of my exported tif file as either 24-bit or CMYK depending on what printing process my Word document was ultimately going though.

I trust this helps.

This dialogue has been heartening at least to the extent that others are having similar challenges. Because I use Xara increasingly for business illustration purposes with my consulting, I too need to copy/paste into Word.

I have found for my diagrams the following solution that, while cumbersome creates an acceptable resolution print when printed from Word. Here's the steps I used:

1. Select what objects and text you want to copy/past in Xara. Enlarge them by 2x (200%). Copy them.
    2. In MS Powerpoint in an empty presentation, 1st slide, Paste-Special-Pictures (Windows Metafile). Copy the image in PowerPoint.
    3. In your Word document, go to the insertion postion for the figure and then Paste-Special-Picture (Enhanced Metafile). Using the Picture menu and the cropping tool, crop-out what you don't want of the image. Click outside the picture and then resize and position the figure within the Word document.

Using keystrokes (as opposed to the mouse) you can do all these operations fairly quickly.

Hope this helps others. Would indeed be nice if Xara folks could address this needs for those of us that love Xara and have to do the Word stuff too!

Keith Jones

I've had a similar problem with PNG export: I too needed to export the entire page as a huge-resolution (600 dpi) PNG *WITHOUT* anti-aliasing, but *WITH* the bleed area, for my print shop (because PDF export just didn't work OK, no matter what I did - Xara always ran out of memory).

So, to add to the list:

- PNG export should be able to export the Bleed area too
    - There should be a '600 dpi' option in the Resolution dropdown, because probably many people think that you can't enter anything manually, and thus think that 300 dpi is the maximum resolution possible.

and then a 1200dpi because...... and then a 2400dpi because...... ?

you know I had completely forgotten there was a drop down in the export dialog box I always do it manually
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    and then a 1200dpi because...... and then a 2400dpi because...... ?

you know I had completely forgotten there was a drop down in the export dialog box I always do it manually
    OK I hope my "Include bleed area" thing is still considered valid though

sure, it would be useful - I have sent png to print before now

if color fidelity is not an issue it works well
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Cool Re: Exporting artwork to MS Word

Hi,

I did not read very deeply, all the posts, but if the goal is to have a Word Document wiath pictures that have ALL THE XARA IMAGE features (Resolution, dithering, 3ffects..) without loosing quality into the document, then the solution is very easy . Have a look at the attached document. It has a Picture with a Xara logo, that IS a Xara object with all its feature. When it is printed it is still vectorial. If you double click on it "magically" XXPro starts, and you can edit it. You will have to "File/Update" instead of "save" in the file menu, to update the word document !!!

To Create it, just do the following: in MS Word do "Insert /Object" and select XARAX Document ....
    Be sure "Display as icon" flag is blank.

Have a fun with it
    Attached Files Attached Files