Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC Hygiene

Default PC Hygiene

I come across filthy PC's often in my work.
    Part of my *service* is to clean them up a bit.
    However, occasionally I open up a case that makes me reach for the camera.

Here's the latest filthy PC to come my way.

Not surprisingly the machine was brought to me because it stopped working.
    And yes, the narrow picture is the floppy disk drive (after the case fascia is removed). Dust and damp air has actually rusted the galvanized metal.

All too often people spend big dollars on a PC only to shove it on the floor and never care about it until it stops working.
    The floor is the worse place for a computer (they are after all called 'desktop computers' for no silly reason).
    Not only does dust, hair and pet dander get sucked into it via the front vents, but vermin can easily enter it and make their home (until they venture into the warmer PSU and find it unsuitable to their body type 'zap/pop'!)

A little care and attention certainly prolongs the useful life of your hardware investment, but it also helps protect your valuable data.

Web and dust becomes a conduit for static charges, just imagine what random sparks zapping around all that will do to the inards.

If your computer resides on the floor I strongly recommend that you take the time to make room on your desk (after first making sure it doesn't resemble fairy floss on the inside first). If you are unsure about cleaning it properly yourself, take it to your local PC Service centre. Don't be embarassed, they'd see it all the time too

This one took around 15 minutes to clean up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	filthy.gif 
Views:	125 
Size:	443.8 KB 
ID:	53022   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	filthyclean.gif 
Views:	126 
Size:	305.0 KB 
ID:	53023  

Last edited by steve.ledger; 21 October 2008 at 08:20 AM. Reason: the spelling gremlin got at it again

Default Re: PC Hygiene

Yup... You could only imagine the really sweet machines I have have seen, sitting on the side of the road with the trash, in areas around me... only to jump out, grab it, bring it home and find out... a lot of times they look just like this. So, I first clean em up and give em a whirl... they usually work just fine after.
    Call me a garbage picker but... the latest one I got about 7 months ago is a Compaq Presario S5300NX P4@ 2.50 Ghz with 1Gb ram, DVD-R/RW & CD rewritable and I love it
    So... take Sledger's advice.... or better yet, don't... just leave it on the curb-side and I'll be there soon to pick it up

BTW... nice clean up job Steve

That is a nice clean-up job.
    Have you ever crossed paths with any of the deadly spiders that you have down under?
    Now webmaster at Design Reviews
    Design Tzar at Ebbs Studio

Actually no - the deadly ones are generally not house spiders.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Actually no - the deadly ones are generally not house spiders.

You mean like Wetas? I thought they were only in New Zealand?

No idea what Wetas means - sorry.. (Google doesn't help me either)

-------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks Steve, I searched for 'Wetas'..

Though I've still never heard of it

I have found that medical grade grain alcohol (198 proof) works really well to clean elelctrical components. Too bad one can not drink the stuff. The remaining 2% is sulfuric acid or something else bad for the digestion.

Do you blow or vacuum the stuff out of the chassis Steve? Either of those can cause static buildup that can be lethal to the stensitive stuff inside.

I ground the tip to my air gun and blow the goop out with low preasure. I haven't had any problems, so far.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

if its 2% sulphuric - in what sense is it medical grade?

I use isopropyl alcohol of the 'pure' but denatured kind - you cannot buy the medicinal grade [BP] in the UK without a licence or perscription
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...