Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: basic photo vectoring techniques?

I took a digital photo of a model airplane (a low-wing single-engine WWII fighter) and used it as a background to trace the plane. It was a 3/4 photo with the nose pointing down to the left, the right wing pointing toward the upper left corner, and the left wing pointing toward the bottom right corner. For what it's worth, you might want to "trace" some of my steps. Use the Shape Editor Tool to set points along outlines of individual shapes (e.g., the right wing) and close the shape by clicking on the starting point. It doesn't matter if the object has curved lines. You can use the same Shape Editor Tool to bend your drawn straight lines into curves that will follow your photo's outline. When things go wrong, you may need to set your points as either 'smooth joins' or 'cusp joins', straight lines or curved lines (read the tutorial and experiment). Do create layers for individual objects. First, create a layer for the earth and sky. It will be at the far back of the drawing. Come back to it later. Begin with the right wing and right-side stabilizer (at the tail) because these shapes are farthest away from the viewer and some parts of the wing and stabilizer will be partially covered by the fuselage in a higher layer (closer to the viewer). Draw a rough outline of the wing. Set a beginning point where the leading edge begins to curve back at the tip of the wing. Set a new point where you think the leading edge meets the fuselage. You can't see that point in your photo. Set another point toward the tail where you believe the trailing edge of the wing meets the fuselage. Set another point where the trailing edge of the wing begins to curve forward. Now close your shape by clicking on the original starting point. Press <ESC>. It took four points to create a rough outline of the wing. Your shape is filled in black so you need to remove the fill. Set line width to 1 pixel or less. Use the shape editor tool tool to drag the four points (especially those behind the fuselage) so the straight lines fall on top of your photo's edges. Place the cursor along the line at the tip of the wing (you'll see an arrow for a tool tip) and drag the line into a curve. Presto. You have the outline for the wing. Fill it with colors and smaller shapes. You may want sometimes to fill shapes with blends to create color graduations. I used a layer for earth and sky, right wing and right stabilizer, fuselage and vertical fin, left wing and left stabilizer, canopy, nose and propeller, and one for lettering, decals, and "kills". Always display the Layer Gallery. Be sure to select a layer before initiating a new drawing. If you draw something into the wrong layer, select the drawing, select the correct layer, and click on "Move" in the Layer Gallery. Sometimes you can begin by drawing a circle or an ellipse on top of the the object in your photo. Convert to a shape. Then use the Shape Editor Tool to add points along the outline and to drag those points into the shape you want. Try to avoid using the Freehand Tool. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Sal Santos; 11 October 2008 at 09:15 PM. Reason: On first line, make clearer what's on background photo

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Xtreme has tremendous transparency capabilities including seven kinds of gradient transparency.
    The last time I looked, I don't think that Illustrator offers even one, am I correct.
    Illustrator CS4 will Gary - though it will not be available [here at least] until mid november, so I cannot say more at this time [you probably know this already ]
    Last edited by handrawn; 12 October 2008 at 10:46 AM. Reason: clarify the quote is about transparency
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Since you also have Xara X1, you can also set your view mode up so the vector lines are shown in wireframe while the picture you're tracing still shows up in full color. Set your view quality slider over to the second mark from the left.

This view setting was removed in Xara Xtreme 4 due to a change in the way bitmaps are handled. Even though I have Xara Xtreme Pro 4, I also bought Xara X1 just for that view mode, since it helps in tracing.

You can also set a second window at the highest view setting and tile the windows so you can see your colors while you trace. Then you can use the wireframe view window to pick your colors with the eyedropper in the Color Editor.

Taking another angle on this... I am not sure that planes and cars are the easiest subjects for early projects. And certainly not people, not that this was mentioned.

Instead try shapes that are more linear and solid might be easier. For example an iron watering can or a flower pot. You *could* try a wine bottle (some of us have plenty to hand ) but this brings in issues of transparency and reflection - perhaps for Lesson 2!

Alternatively, like me, you may use Xtreme more for very 2-D subjects like logos and web page furniture.

Good luck.
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

I would agree with Simon. Start simple... Drawing a #2 pencil is enough of a challenge for a 1st photorealistic drawing. Drawing portraits has to be one of the hardest things to do photorealistically. Sheesh, using a camera to get a good portrait isn't easy.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

use this link to follow the discussion about Pencil classifications

The discussion about Derivative work and Copyright can be found here