Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Army Badge

Default Army Badge

I found this Royal Logistics Corp badge in clipart from somewhere I can't recall a year or so ago, already in vector format. Being in vector format saved a fair bit of time, though I still had to do some significant editing to get the details in a form that would display well in Xara3D.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RLogCorp anim 12f 305x305.gif 
Views:	363 
Size:	448.4 KB 
ID:	52684  

Default Re: Army Badge

The master of X3D does it again..
    I really like the way the lighting changes.

wow..nice and clear....I will try that on an old army badge..if I have the patience

Magnifique!
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Ahh, found it. It was Crest2.xar in the clipart from Xara Xtreme Pro 4 disc. I had copied it and renamed it to something more meaningful, and forgotten the original name.

The spinning version was too big to post, which is why I made it a swing type, using fewer frames, and I didn't want to make much smaller, or the detail would be lost.

I had a lot of bother with artifacts appearing when I was slicing shapes, particularly with the wreath leaves, and chasing down the rampant nodes took a lot of the time. But from start to finish took about eight hours all told.

Mike

Magnifique, Mike, chapeau !!
    Oliver.
    www.o5m6.de

Very well done Mike. very well done.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

thats just great Mike
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Amazing as usual ....
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

In case anyone was wondering how I acheived such fine extrusions, they arise because every object in the file is at 400% normal size.

Type CTRL-A to select everything, then the Font size dialogue (which usually says Fit to width) now shows 100% by default; type in 400, and everything is increased in size by 4, but only in the X and Y dimensions. The Z dimension is set by extrusion, which doesn't change, so proportionately all objects are now 4 times thinner than before.

Sizing pixels were used to keep all shapes in their correct relative sizes and positions. With the cursor off, I set the Font size to 100pt, and adjusted the screen framesize to fit the badge as closely as possible to keep the sizing pixels out of view. This lets me export the animation cleanly with the frame cropping the sizing pixels off automatically.

The swing animation is just to show off the glinting of edges. Rotate1, front face only gets a normal spinning badge, but takes too many frames to get an smooth animation, and that made the imagefile too large to post.

The crown in the badge is not the one that was in the clipart file, but one I hand traced and used in a previous (ACF) badge, and already had the tweaks to make it useable in Xara3D, so I just swapped them. They are virtually identical, except for one or two small details, so I hope I haven't offended any army badge purists out there The buckle area looked clumsy so I took an editorial/artistic decision and simplified it.

Mike