Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Imported Images are Resized

Could someone help with this problem please?

I am preparing a book cover for printing, the base page is oversize A3. I have some 64 images to import onto the page, they have all been sized in Photoshop CS3 at 240 ppi resolution.

To give an example one image in Photoshop CS3 has an indicated size of 2.5" x 1.942" x 240 ppi.

If I "Import" it onto the oversized A3 page in XXPro the image size grows to 14.97" x 11.6".

If I "Drag and Drop" the same image into XXPro from a folder in Windows Explorer the same image is resized to 6.25" x 4.85".

In Photoshop I can set up the page to have the same resolution as the imported images and the images stay at their imported size when moved onto the page.

Is it possible to set up the page in XXPro to have a base resolution of 240ppi? The reason I ask is that I don't want to have to resize all 64 "Imported" or "Drag and Dropped" images having done it once in Photoshop.

Default Re: Imported Images are Resized

Hi

xtreme works internally at 96 dpi - this cannot be changed

however - if you import all your images into xtreme [you can drag and drop all selected in one go] and then select them all in xtreme you can resize them all in one go, assuming they are all the same difference

xtreme has resized your image when you drag and drop from windows because of the resolution I would think [96:240 is the same ratio as 2.5:6.25]

not sure why the imoprt is different without knowing what sort of image files they are - they are not all treated the same....

alternatively working at 96dpi and resizing everything on export to 240dpi may be an option
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hmm - I'm not getting that. My quick test seemed to keep the image the same size?
    Changing this photo res to 240ppi in CS3 created an image 1780x1689 pixel size.
    I dragged it into Xtreme4 and it displays the exact same pixel size.
    I imported it with the same result..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	240ppi.png 
Views:	378 
Size:	252.8 KB 
ID:	52088  

yep - without knowing what the file type image is and/or ideally having an example to hand its difficult to say more
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks to handrawn and sledger for your contribution.

XXpro is weird in that it treats different filetypes in different ways.

Sledger is correct when he says the pixel count remains the same, I found with the example image when imported as a JPEG the physical size of the JPEG increased, as I said in my first posting, the pixel count does not change.

When I import the same image which has been saved out of Photoshop as a TIFF image, the physical size stays the same, however the pixel count reduces from 600 px x 466 px to 240 px x 186.4 px, very strange behavior.

Never had such issues...
    See attached file -- check your settings, maybe this is the solution...

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	52089  
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

PS defaults to saving at 72 DPI. When a PS created image is imported into Xpro it will display at 72DPI if the option is unchecked and 96 DPI if checked.

I typically use irfanview to set all my camera shots (defaulted at 72DPI - 4672X3104) to 300DPI. I have the 96DPI check box unclicked so when I drag and drop a shot into Xpro, it isn't monsterously huge.

see attached screenshot of photo on a US Letter size page (8.5X11).

Name:	1screenshot.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	52109  
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Point is John, Sigmation is 'setting' and saving the PPI as 240ppi

I think what Sigmation is saying is that Xtreme appears to be ignoring the (user set) embedded PPI information.

Remember that print resolution and screen resolution are not the same thing.
    Also worth noting that PS default 72dpi can be changed to 96dpi (default) in the prefs.

Name:	CSresoptions.png 
Views:	319 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	52110  

Why 240 ppi is what I would like to know? What is the intended output for these images?

I create my stereogram images at 300 dpi (ppi). When I bring the images created in an outside application back into Xtreme, I change the percentage to 32% which reduces the image to the correct size and increases the resolution to 300dpi.

okay.. second time...

When "import Jpegs at 96DPI" is checked the image will be rescaled to 96 DPI. With it off... it will import at the inbedded DPI (72, 96, 240, 300 or 14899)

BTW: a 4672X3104 image at 14899DPI is a 30x20 graphic. See screen shot.

Name:	15129.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	52152  
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook