Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Question from Newbie: digitizing machine embroidery designs

Hi:

I'm new to the forum and new to XaraExtreme.

My goal is to create graphics (clipart) for digitizing machine embroidery designs. This program was recommended to me. I've never done any mouse drawing before, but would seriously like to know how this is done and was told that this program was user friendly.

I've downloaded the trial version and have 29 more days to learn how to do this. At least enough to have me decide if I want to invest in the program.

Can anybody point me in the right direction as to where I begin to learn this? I have downloaded the movies and watched them.

Does anybody else on the forum use the program to create graphics for digitizing?

I've also got Corel Draw X3, but still learning how to use the program and can do very little with it at this point.

Sorry if I'm sounding confused, but I am.

Hope I'm posting this in the right section.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Question from Newbie

Hi sewcrazy, Welcome to Talk Graphics. There is a wealth of tutorials and more at www.xaraxone.com. I've learned all kinds of stuff from there. And if you get stuck just ask here, there are so many wonderful people on here that are most willing to help you learn.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Smile Re: Question from Newbie

Hi Frances:

Thanks for the welcome and for the link to the tutorials. I love new programs, but really hate getting starting with them. I've opened the program and played around several times, but really need some direction.

Love your site and very impressed that it was created with this program. Also nice to see there are many fellow Canadians on line.

Sewcrazy,

If you can post an example of what you're trying to accomplish along with your best attempt, so far, I'm sure that you will receive an overabundance of help, suggestions, tutorial links, and other relevant information.

Also, a big welcome to TG and the funtastic world of Xara Xtreme!

Get ready to soak up some information,
    HayTay

Sewcrazy,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

I'm pretty sure one of our members also uses Xtreme for Embroidery work, but can't remember who at the moment ......
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Hi HayTay:

I will do that, but so far I haven't accomplished much. I trying to create very clear, but simple clipart. I use it as a template in my digitizing program and then manual punch in stitches to create an embroidery design.

When I get something accomplished with the Xara Xtreme program I will post the sample, if I can figure out how to do that, lol.

Thanks for the welcome! Still trying to find my way around the forum.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 04 September 2008 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Deleted unnecessary quote of an earlier post ~ Egg

Hi Keith:

Hoping one of them will read this post. For sure they will know exactly what I'm talking about. I'm one of those people who needs step by step instructions at first. Then I remember it forever.

Another fellow Canadian. You live in my step-Mom's neck of the woods. She's in Smith Falls.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 04 September 2008 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Deleted unnecessary quote of an earlier post ~ Egg

Sewcrazy,

I swiped this graphic from your website link and recreated the graphic in Xara Xtreme 4. Is this what you're trying to do? If so, do the shapes have to be grouped individually by color or is the full 'clip-art' image satisfactory? I'm not entirely sure what your 'digitizing' process entails. Can you elaborate?

IHTH,
    HayTay
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SewCrazy - DFH World.png 
Views:	250 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	51716   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SewCrazy - DFH World_Exploded.png 
Views:	243 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	51717  

Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 04 September 2008 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Deleted unnecessary quote of an earlier post ~ Egg

Hi HayTay:

That is the type of clipart I need, and it can remain as the full clip art image. I don't know if this will help you understand what I'm trying to accomplish or not. The first pic of the teddy is the one that I digitized for a machine embroidery design. The second pic of the same clipart is the graphic that I purchased to digitize. That is what I'm trying to accomplish is doing the graphics in that form to be able to take them into my other program and digitize them. The less complex an image is, the better it is do digitize. Hope this explains things a little more.

Sorry I don't know why the clipart is viewing so large. I tried to change that and couldn't.

http://f9g.yahoofs.com/groups/g_1938...AgcwIB8DMgpLLp

Name:	jpg.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	51735  
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 04 September 2008 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Deleted unnecessary quote of an earlier post ~ Egg

SewCrazy,

Here's a quick sample of what you can do with Xara Xtreme after some practice and only using the 'Shape Editor', 'Rectangle', 'Ellipse', 'Text' and 'Fill' tools. The lines were modified using profiles from the 'Line Gallery'. Other tools that came in handy were the 'Group/Ungroup', 'Put to Front' & 'Put to Back' and the 'Clone' shortcuts.

Look for, and view the many tutorials on the above subjects and you should be well on your way with a little practice. Xara Xtreme really does make graphic creation and editing easy and fun. It does take a little effort on your part, though, so dig in, take a look at the examples, and ask away here on TG when you get stuck.

I modified the bear's message a bit ( ), although I do enjoy reading as well.

I look forward to seeing your efforts,
    HayTay

Name:	SewCrazy - School Bear Sample.png 
Views:	236 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	51718