Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

When you do flash design, you don't give away your original .fla files, but only the .swf files. When the client requests the .fla files, they will have to pay for that in addition.

Extracting a .swf file to a .fla with pix, actionscript etc. is possible, but I don't think it's right with respect to the original designer.

Maybe, the representative has to ask (and pay) the original designer for the .fla files. Then you can continue your work.

Just my thoughts.
    IP

I was thinking along the lines of RE/MAX having an in-house designer for head-office. I think The Fontman was thinking along the same lines. But yes, in most freelancing jobs, you would retain the original file, UNLESS it was specified in your original contract that you would deliver your .FLA files along with the finished product. If RE/MAX doesn't have an in-house designer that did the movie, you might be able to a) create a new one from scratch, or b) find out who did the file, and contact them directly and commission them to create a new movie for you, or c) buy the .FLA files off of them. Personally, I'd go with (a) unless it's a really complex animation that you don't think you can handle.

hth,
    Deep (just a guy)
    <font face="arial" size="2">
    Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math
    Interactive Developer
    http://www.bluespark.com
    </font>
    hth,
    Deep (just a guy)
    --
    Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math
    CTO
    9 Story Entertainment
    http://www.9story.com
    IP

There are ways to get into a protected swf, but it's probably a good thing more people don't already know about it. There are programs supposedly designed to help you crack open a protected swf that you lost the FLA for, but people would more likely use it to steal work. (I'm not saying that is the case here--just talking about the program)

I have helped a guy get into a swf he lost the FLA for, but I knew it was his because of the "designed by:" tagline inside the swf. He got a flattened version of his work, but at least he was able to make the small change he needed without having to start from scratch.

Good luck getting the FLA. That's always the best/easiest way.

DainBramaged
    www.dainbramagedesign.com
    IP