Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Xara-HTML size

Default Xara-HTML size

Why is there a large difference in a Xara document size and the exported html file?
    In one case I tested the Xara 7 page file was 25Mb and the HTML was 2.9Mb.
    Peter

Default Re: Xara-HTML size

Perhaps the images you used in your .xar file are of a large resolution which you resize either via the handles or directly via the info bar. They are then optimised at the new resolution when exported to HTML.

What you suggest is that exporting optimise's, that is the reason for the difference in size.
    So if that is the case does it matter what the original was/is?
    I must be missing something:-(
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Prewett View Post
    What you suggest is that exporting optimise's, that is the reason for the difference in size.
    Yes - this is how the export filter and Xtreme is designed to function in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Prewett View Post
    So if that is the case does it matter what the original was/is?
    No..

For example, if I import a 2048x1536pix 1.6mb jpg and resize it via the info bar to 200x150pix and then export the page to html, the image is exported as a 9.kb jpg *not* a 1.6mb jpg image. Xtreme has optimised the image to the new 200x150 resolution and applied a 75% jpg quality setting automatically.
    (Remembering that I need to name the image as JPEG, otherwise Xtreme will export as .png type)

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Yes - this is how the export filter and Xtreme is designed to function in this regard.

No..

For example, if I import a 2048x1536pix 1.6mb jpg and resize it via the info bar to 200x150pix and then export the page to html, the image is exported as a 9.kb jpg *not* a 1.6mb jpg image. Xtreme has optimised the image to the new 200x150 resolution and applied a 75% jpg quality setting automatically.
    (Remembering that I need to name the image as JPEG, otherwise Xtreme will export as .png type)
    Sorry you lost me:-(
    Above you say import a jpg change its size and then export as html, it still a jpg.
    Where then does the .png type come from as I am still dealing with a jpg.
    And where in Xara can I change its name.
    I see in my html exported files some of the .jpgs have become .pngs
    I am still not understanding why a 25Mb Xara file becomes a 2.9Mb html.

Put it down to old age as when I grow young again I will get intelligent.

Peter

Peter may I recommend you spend a little time with the Xtreme4 Help file.
    Please search for the HTML section and also select the subsections including 'Images'.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	help.png 
Views:	335 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	50023  

Peter, Steve is correct. If you import a 1600 pix x 1200 pix jpg into XXP and resize it to 640 x 480 all the original data within the jpg is retained.

Save the Xara file and whilst you've resized the jpg to 640 x 480 pixels the original 1600 x 1200 pixel image is still retained. So your xar file size will still remain big.

However, if you select the jpg from within XXP and export it as a jpg at 96ppi the resultant jpg will be a lot smaller (it's no longer holding the original jpg's greater detail)

On the jpg/png front: whenever you import an image, be it a bmp, gif, jpg or png, XXP's export to html filter will ALWAYS export it as a png. To avoid this select the image, click on the "Create new name" icon and name it JPEG. (XXP may warn you that you've already used this name but just ignore this warning, it won't make any difference).
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host