Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Resized on export

When I export to .AI from Xtreme4Pro and then open my drawing in Illustrator everything comes in smaller than it should. Some things can be up to as much as 150px+ smaller. Is there a setting or some configuration that would keep the sizing correct between these applications? I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

This also seems to happen when I export as a .SWF and then import into Flash.

Default Re: Resized on export

Hi Chris, what version of Xara Xtreme are you using? There is a real problem that exists between importing/exporting images/vectors between PC based programs like Xara Xtreme / Paint Shop Pro & Corel Draw to Mac originated programs like Flash, Illustrator and "whatever the other one is" due to Macs origunally using 72 ppi screen resolution and PC's using 96 ppi.

The last to versions of XXP (3.2 & 4.0) automatically compensate for this.

Does this help? If not, get back.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg,

I am using Xtreme 4 Pro. I am on a PC machine.

When I export to .PSD the graphics come over at the correct sizes. When I export to .AI, .SWF or .PDF I then have to spend extra time getting objects back to the correct size.

I have attached some samples to demonstrate the issue. you will need Illustrator CS3 in order to open the .ai file.

SampleBlock.xar - original
    SampleBlock.ai - export from Xtreme
    SampleBlock.pdf - export from Xtreme

I would guess this is chewing up roughly 20% of my time each day. That equals about $200 USD for me =/
    Attached Files Attached Files

You can always just try scaling the xara output. use 96 and 72 for your values... Try it one way then the other... One will make it even smaller, the other will come across properly. I haven't played with scaling for flash/.ai in a while so I forget which goes where. Maybe egg can remember, he does lots of flash.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

When I export to .PSD the graphics come over at the correct sizes. When I export to .AI, .SWF or .PDF I then have to spend extra time getting objects back to the correct size.
    Hi again Chris. I don't use PSD export so I can't comment. I have Illustrator PS2 so I can't use your file.

Re Johns point above I used to use a xar2swf template that had scaling but since XXP3.2 this hasn't been necessary, the export filter does the scaling automatically.

Could you attach a .xar file and the exported .swf file for comparison?
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 23 May 2008 at 02:14 AM.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Downloaded all files and in all 3 your green rectangle is the same -- 2,083in x 0,521in.
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

So what does this suggest to you Alex?

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    So what does this suggest to you Alex?
    Heh, I downloaded .xar again and rectangle is 200 x 50 pix, exported it as AI file and there 150 x 38 pix, and that getting me in a shock ))) Obviously, there is 72/96 dpi problem. While in inches all values are identical )).

I suggest to set measurement units in Xara as POINTS (as far as we know, 1 pt = 1/72 in) -- that mean 1 pt in Xara = 1 pix in AI (AI for PC is always produced from codes for Mac, and 72 dpi at Mac is a standard).

In other words, AI displays at 72 dpi.

I think the more exploration should be made by Xara team. Maybe this issue at their end, I don't know. But it's obvious, that 1 pix in Xara is not the same as 1 pix in AI.
    Last edited by alexbozhenov; 25 May 2008 at 08:00 AM.
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

Googling shows it'a a common issues when working between Adobe and other products.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951603

You may also notice that Adobe Reader 8 for Windows also needs setting in the prefs>>page display to scale at 96, otherwise your PDF files will look a little different than in other readers.

This also seems to happen when I export as a .SWF and then import into Flash.
    I don't get this. Here's a screengrab of the 2 apps side by side. Flash reports the size as 200 x 50 pix the same as XXP. As I said earlier, you used to need to work on a template with scaling. If you're having problems I can create a template which will keep the same dimensions.

I do get it if I open your ai file in Illustrator CS2 however.

EDIT: Here's the link to the scaling template
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jpg.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	49351  
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 25 May 2008 at 05:10 PM.
    Egg