Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Special Powers of Import and Open

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Yes but the latest version of Adobe software still cannot fathom Xtremes' routines and technologies. Export filters can only go so far.
    If you are creating a design using Xtreme software, you are creating a .xar file right up to the moment you chose to export.
    So now what? In order for any exported drawing created in Xtreme to open perfectly to something Illustrator could produce in the first place, it would have to exactly become Adobe and convert all it's goodies to adobe routines? How can this ever be possible?

You need to create your file in Xtreme with 'export' in mind, avoiding the advanced stuff that Adobe software can't understand..
    Hmmm it would be nice if you could have a button doing just that.
    You know you have tio export to adobe, so you just press the button
    which switches off all the good stuff in Xara, that isn`t compatible with
    the exportformat you want to choose. I know this is difficult, because
    other graphic companies change their programs too, so .........
    be aware, not to become a ware.

The only reason I was bit&^% was because in the export and import panel in xara there is illustrator.
    I say if your going to put it there make it work and compatible.

Okay I stop now, but I hope xara looks into it.

I have a simple .AI file here which appears to 'import' OK, but is blank if you 'open' it.

That can only be a bug, I'd have thought, as the hard stuff of interpretting the AI file must be working.

Using PDF is the only chance. The AI import/export filter is outdated since years. Please search for similiar threads about the same issue and you will see, there is no change since years and there will be no change with the AI import/export filter. So please use PDF instead.

Regards,
    Remi
    Last edited by remi; 11 May 2008 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by remi View Post
    there is no change since years and there will be no change with the AI import/export filter. So please use PDF instead.

Regards,
    Remi
    Remi, Are you talking on behalf of xara company?

Of course Remi's not talking on behalf of Xara. He's just pointing out that Illustrators native export is now PDF not AI. So why would you expect Xara to spend development time updating an outdated file format? I think this is a resonable point to make.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Of course Remi's not talking on behalf of Xara. He's just pointing out that Illustrators native export is now PDF not AI. So why would you expect Xara to spend development time updating an outdated file format? I think this is a resonable point to make.
    If Xara were actually after any of AI's market share, they'd make darn sure you could open AI files without problem.

Every time someone gives a Xara user an AI file which doesn't open, the Xara user is reminded that he's a second-class citizen.

But I don't think Xara are after AI in any serious way, so the way things are is undoubtedly a concious decision on their part.

The point is, you should be realistic. There are a lot of other important things to do and if you follow the old threads about the AI import/export filter, you're able to recognize, that the PDF import filter is meant as a replacement for the old AI import filter.

If you get AI files from your customers, you should ask for a 8.x version or you should ask for a PDF version. I know, that looks not professional, but it's the fact since years and (to get one's head out of the clouds) it will not change. Furthermore there are other important facts why there will be always reasons to buy both, Adobe Illustrator and Xara Xtreme.

Remi
    Last edited by remi; 12 May 2008 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    He's just pointing out that Illustrators native export is now PDF not AI.
    Egg there are technically four 'native' Illustrator CS3 formats. AI is still very much the first and best format to choose to retain all work in it's pure editable state 'when created in Illustrator'.
    Checking the CS3 help file regarding Saving and Exporting, or page 264 of the Illustrator CS3 user guide mentions;

About saving and exporting artwork
    There are four basic file formats—AI, PDF, EPS, and SVG—to which you can save artwork. These formats are called native formats because they can preserve all Illustrator data. (For PDF and SVG formats, you must select the Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities options to preserve all Illustrator data.)
    and
    Save in Illustrator format
    1 Choose File > Save As or File > Save A Copy.
    2 Type a filename, and choose a location for the file.
    Note: To display Version Cue options in the Save As and Save A Copy dialog boxes, click the Use Adobe Dialog button.
    3 Choose Illustrator (*.AI) as the file format, and click Save
    Where PDF compatibility is required, there an option to ensure this as mentioned;

Create PDF Compatible File Saves a PDF representation of the document in the Illustrator file. Select this option if
    you want the Illustrator file to be compatible with other Adobe applications.
    Of course, exporting from Xara as .ai or .pdf is not the same thing as 'created by Illustrator'. As mentioned earlier, Xara can not do this as Illustrator can't understand Xara's more advanced tools and effects, so these have to become something else that Illustrator can actually display (like a raster instead of a Xara Vector effect).
    I agree that exporting as PDF would be the best option most of the time. Though as Remi says, be realistic. My pov is to prepare your work with export in mind. I've learned not to expect too much of export filters, no matter which software is used.

Okay guys, I am going to be realistic, Please don't beat me up