Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Default Re: Xara Xtreme verison 4

mind you thinking about it you could just disable the connection in XP...?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I ended up removing and reinstalling Xtreme. It worked fine after that and I didn't need to disable my av, firewall or internet connection. I realize though that these can mess things up at times, but I wasn't the only one with the same issue.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

glad to hear the problem is sorted

actually the only cases I have ever come across where it was essential to disable my av are video/sound driver updates and %&@*! corel painter [I love it really - just windows version is a bit 'tempremental' ]
    Nothing lasts forever...

When it comes up with the message about English Language if you choose "no" I think it will mess up. You have to choose UK English. At least this is what I did the second time and it installed ok.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    [Added: I actually think revamping the interface icons to a more modern look could probably pay for itself - nobody wants to buy software that looks old - we do because we already use it]
    Personally, I don't care whether the icons look modern or hip.

I'm not interested in eye candy. In fact, I usually find that eye candy makes interfaces more difficult to use. I look for a clean, functional, intuitive UI with icons that meaningful and easy to read.

Speed, functionality and ease of use -- those are important to me. I'd much rather Xara & Co continue to focus their energies in that direction, as they do so well.

Agreed - I don't care about skins, themes or icons - as long as the programme functions. Not only that, if I wanted a different theme, I would expect to apply it as a windows theme not a localised Xara theme.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I downloaded and ordered the upgrade to Xtreme 4, although I had not had a chance to use it yet. What perfect timing Xara has ! I only had to pay for shipping since I purchased Xtreme 3.2 earlier this month.

The only thing I wish Xara would do is update their interface. I am new to Xara, and purchased Xtreme due to its extreme ease of use and pricing. I would have been tempted to purchase Illustrator, but the complexity and price would not justify such a purchase, although I have mastered their Encore, Premeire Pro, and Audition products.

I agree with everyone with this one when it comes to Xtreme - the interface reminds me too much of Windows 95/98. And yes, I believe a refresh of their icons would also be very helpful.

The best interface I seen in a graphics program is Microsofts Expression Design. The interface alone and its ease of use is worth purchasing, however, Microsoft does not package Expression Design as a stand-alone graphics program. You need to purchase Expression Studio which is a bundled program that includes additional programs for web design and writing HTML code, along with other Expression packages. The cost for Expression Studio, just to get Design would cost $300 to $600 pending if you bought the Studio upgrade or full retail package. Expression is now in Beta with their version 2 release, expected to be released sometime later this year. You can download the 30 day trial of Expression Design, or the Expression Design Beta 2 from Microsofts website.

It is unclear if Expression Design 2 will be available as a standalone product, or if it will continue to be released in their Expression Studio Package. Even if you are not a fan of Microsoft, their UI of Design is one of the best UI package I have seen in a graphics program !!! Adobe should take note. I do encourage everyone to download the 30 day trial or Beta release of Expression or Expression 2 respectfully. It is worth trying out !!!

I was hoping when I purchased Xtreme 3.2 that Xara would update the interface in version 4 to something similar what Expression Design offers. If you havnt seen Expression before, download the 30 day trial, or download the Expression 2 beta. From what I seen from the 30 day trial, nearly everything is right at your fingertips. If Xara would build such a user interface along with an icon refresh of the program, along with an advertising campaign, they would put themselves in a great marketing posission for a top-notch vector graphics product, knocking on Illustrator door as the king-of-vector-graphics.

Anyone out there with me on this ?

What is the Repel feature that is offered in Xtreme 4 ?
    Last edited by DiscoMike; 31 March 2008 at 05:38 PM.

Sorry, I'm not with you on the interface update, I'm comfortable with it as it is ....... However, everyone is entitled to their opinion ....

Repel allows shapes to repel text, so that the text follows the profile of the shape.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

HI welcome to TG

"I agree with everyone with this one" - not everyone agrees !

"From what I seen from the 30 day trial, nearly everything is right at your fingertips." - just like xara then - it depends what you are used to

I see that Keith has answered your last point
    Nothing lasts forever...

I'm also not too hip on the idea of skins, but perhaps that's because I see an awful lot of open source programs that fixate themselves on being skinnable or themeable before they actually implement any of the application's functionality. At least we know that Xara won't have that particular problem.

On the whole I don't see anything wrong with Xara's UI. The icons clearly relate to the function they embody, and I can click on them in order to make things happen.

Focusing on how something looks instead of it's quality seems like something best left to Junior High and the popular cliques. However, I am a bit of a dinosaur.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.