Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Text Flow, breaking the link between frames ...?

I have two frames of text in Extreme Pro.

Text flows from Frame A to Frame B. I no longer want the text to flow from A to B. I want to keep the existing text in Frame A there AND I want to keep Frame B as well and the text it currently has.

However, if I drag the link-arrow in Frame A down as instructed in the Help file, Frame B is lost. Am I doing something wrong? If not, is there a workaround.

Regards, John
    Last edited by jclements; 27 February 2008 at 04:42 PM.

Default Re: Text Flow, breaking the link between frames ...?

Bump up. Anyone with an answer?

If you left click the red arrow link symbol on the bottom of the first text frame (visible when the frame is selected) it will break to link and the text in the second box will disappear, (obviously as the frame its linked too is no longer linked for the text to flow). You can't break the link and leave the text in the second frame as far as I know, might be useful if you could specify you want that. The only work round I know to retain the text for the second frame is to copy the text in the frame before breaking the link and then paste it back once the link is broken. You will then have to delete the duplicate overflow from the first frame.
    derek
    Last edited by masque; 28 February 2008 at 01:41 PM.

Thank you Derek.

This confirms what I found.

The work around, which I also tried, resulted at times in the Pro stalling and hanging up. The file was totally wiped out when I control-dragged right-mouse button realeased a copy of the second frame. I suspect that there is a bug and I am guessing that somehow Pro has copied the link with the text and its getting confused as to which link to flow the text to.

This behavior is very similar to the bug which occured a few years ago when the COPY layer button in the Layers Gallery was used on a layer which contained text.

John

================================================== =============================

I would respectfully like to request of Xara in the next upgrade or service release to give us the option when breaking a link to: 1. break text flow and delete "sibling" frame or 2. Break text flow but maintain "sibling" frame with existing text.

This is the way other graphic applications deal with links and it is important when working with frames.

Perhaps impliment this with a context menu when the link icon is right-mouse clicked.
    Last edited by jclements; 28 February 2008 at 01:53 PM.

It doesn't matter if I copy the entire frame or just the text within it I can't make Xara crash when pasting it back to a new frame or just a cursor point on the page. It might depend on the amount of text in the frame perhaps, though unless its a novels worth I wouldn't have thought so as I sever links in frames containing substantial amounts of menu (food) text and retain the formatting when pasting to a new area without any (fingers crossed) problems fairly frequently.
    I support your rrequest for future versions to look at this area, though I would also like to see text wrapping and an efficient spell check, so I can dump M.S.Word more.
    derek
    Last edited by masque; 28 February 2008 at 01:56 PM.