Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default What does "DPI when auto generated" actually do ?

Hi

Now I'm probably going to get beaten up by the moderator but... just to finish off the discussion on DPI, can anyone tell me what the Utilities > Options > View > Bitmaps > "DPI when auto generated" actually does?

For example see the attached file 100x100 pixel file.

(As discussed I am trying to get a 1:1 ratio of pixels on my graphic to to pixels on my screen. And if anyone is still interested where I have got to is my screen DPI is at 108DIP (113% of normal size) and in order to see it without weirdness on the image I have to set the Xara's zoom to 89%... (i.e. 96/108))
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: What does "DPI when auto generated" actually do ?

From the XaraXtreme help file:

DPI when auto-generated: Some features such as shadows and bevels are created using bitmaps. Xara Xtreme Pro calculates the resolution of these bitmaps when they are displayed. However when you perform actions on shadows and bevels such as Convert to Editable Shapes, Combine Shapes, Export as EPS and Export as Flash-Xara Xtreme Pro creates a new bitmap using the resolution you specify here. For on-screen use (such as web page graphics) 96 DPI is the best value. For work that will be printed, you may need a higher value. Changes to this value apply to new auto-generated bitmaps; it has no effect on existing bitmaps.

Default Re: What does "DPI when auto generated" actually do ?

Sounds like I'd better leave at 96 DPI then, being as almost all I do is used for Web graphics.
    (FWIW, I did search try to search help but I failed to fine anything!)

I was thinking it would change the default size of the graphics that are exported but no such luck!

Ship