Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How to create Dimension Lines ?

Quote Originally Posted by a4hire View Post
    Why not draw the lines and arrowheads and then type in the dimension just like in real drafting?
    It would be good if when inserting an arrow it included it in the line length not adding to the line. It can be done as it has been on the ArtWorks version on the Risc PC, Xtreme was derived from ArtWorks which is still being developed.
    Peter

Click point A
    Click point B
    Line with distance between A and B appears
    We sorted this one out a while ago but I can't find the post. In the shape editor tool, click on node (point) B. XXP shows you the length and angle of the line. It works on multi node lines. Just click a node and it gives the length and angle from the previous node.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jpg.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	44550  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

It's a shame there's no direct-action way to alter the length of a line while maintaining arbitrary angle (e.g. holding alt or something); ctrl-dragging doesn't apply except for preset angles which are not arbitrary. The best you can do is make a mental note of the angle, then drag out further, then put the angle back to what it was via the text box on the infobar.

Interesting create a 8pt line of 100mm and then add arrows to either end the actual line is no longer 100mm and is now 96.3mm and overall longer as the arrows add to the length of the object. Then change the line point size and the line length changes again:-((

I would still like to see the overall line length stay the same when adding/changing arrows or changing point sizes it cannot be that difficult as it has already been done in ArtWorks.

Pro may not a be a CAD program but over the years I have used Xtreme for that purpose, house plans, or created drawings which have pointers what should be a simple one step process becomes multiple step to get it right.

The way lines and arrows are handled in Pro is far from satisfactory.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Prewett View Post
    I would still like to see the overall line length stay the same when adding/changing arrows or changing point sizes it cannot be that difficult as it has already been done in ArtWorks.
    The way lines and arrows are handled in Pro is far from satisfactory.
    Agreed, and get's my vote.. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/icons/icon14.gif
    It may not be a CAD program, but so what? Unless you are drawing for fun (fruit'n'veg for example) you are using dimensions yes? Otherwise what is the point of including a rule and page unit setting that can be configured in mm/cm/m/km/inches/feet/yards/miles ????? These are 'dimensions' aren't they? - so proper dimension tools are a necessity, not (in my opinion) a subject for work-arounds.

Yes, I recall people asking for more control over arrow locations on lines for a while. You can however use scale line widths option on the infobar of the selector tool to determine whether the width and height feedback include the arrow head size.

Peter,

The line length only alters with line width if you've got Square Cap or Round Cap ends. It remains the same if you use Butt Cap. It does the same as the arrows in Square Cap or Round Cap mode, bangs these types as additions to the line.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Peter,

The line length only alters with line width if you've got Square Cap or Round Cap ends. It remains the same if you use Butt Cap. It does the same as the arrows in Square Cap or Round Cap mode, bangs these types as additions to the line.
    Please just sort out this confusion a line length once set should not change.
    All I have seen is work arounds requiring more steps to overcome deficiencies, every time I create a line in Pro and then change the ends or width I have to change the line length to back how was set in the first place.
    It is not if the additions create a fixed amount of changes to the line they are all different.
    If I cut a bit of plastic for my model to 100mm and then cut the ends to a round finish the plastic miraculously does not increase its length to 104.4mm or some other unknown amount.

Peter

Peter,

Line lengths do not change when you change the cap style, the join style, dash pattern or arrowheads on a line. Try it and look at the lengths displayed in the Shape Editor tool - you'll see the reported length, the mathematical length of the line, does not change.

However, if you are looking at the width and height of the shape in the Selector tool and you have "scale line widths" turned on then the Selector tool will show the width and height of the rectangle that encloses the line and all the attributes applied to it. Then the width and height of the line shown by the selector will change as you change the attributes applied to the line.

If you're doing any kind of technical drawing I recommend turning "scale line widths" off so that you're dealing with the pure mathematical shapes alone - ignoring the effects of attributes.

BTW: Drawing arrowheads inside the ends of the lines is not straightforward when the line is a bezier curve.

Phil
    Last edited by PhilM; 20 January 2008 at 10:31 AM.