Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Installing a cms script

Their support is somewhat lacking http://www.campware.org/en/camp/about_campware/677/ I've tried registering for a free one but it didn't send me a mail link. Anyway I will try to get another domain or something and see if it works.

Hi Availor,

Sorry I dont have it installed any more but can do more testing if you require.

The problem with the script is that it is not written very well. It doesn't have many global variables and also has a number of problems in the configuration file making it quite difficult to install AND configure.

Its just the way that its been written that requires it to be installed in the public_html folder.

My best advise to you would be to not use this script at all but instead opt for something like Joomla or Mambo or maybe even wordpress..

Have you had a look at any of these ?

Regards,
    Rabbie.

Thanks for the advice.

As a matter of fact, I have been using wordpress, joomla, php-fusion, e107, drupal, moodle, websitebaker and other cms scripts for games, videos and other stuff. Each script I find I try to customize for my own needs and make it as a box product.

Some of the examples of my websites are here;

www.a2k.co.il
    www.asce.co.il
    www.2b.sce.ac.il
    www.2b.sce.ac.il/wordpress
    www.2b.sce.ac.il/arcade
    www.webcruller.com
    www.videoxone.com

And I have more..... just don't want to litter the forum with too many links

Now I need a news publishing system. I know I can use joomla, wordpress or anything else, but I need something more specific. I am intending to buy php-cow (www.phpcow.com) news publishing system and translate it to Hebrew. I just wanted to try campware to compare between the two - try their admin panel, their user experience and such. Maybe it meets my needs.

Well I've deleted my website, and uploaded campsite files, but it still gives me an error (www.webcruller.com)

Have you installed campsite in the root folder of /public_html/ or in a folder called /webcruller/ ??

Hey Availor,

Could you please post lines 25 to 35 of this file so I can check and debug for you ?

/home/videoxon/public_html/webcruller/install/classes/CampInstallation.php

Hi Availor,

I just spent some more time looking at campware for you. It would seem as though it cannot be installed in a hosted environment.

The script itself must be "Compiled "..

i.e: You need to be logged into the server as root and perform:
    ./configure
    make
    etc

Do a google search for campware in cpanel.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Rabbie.

Sledger, yes I've installed the script in a public_html root folder, though it doesn't work after all.

Oh drat, that means I need my own server (dedicated server)? I better spend a 100$ after all on php-cow it will be cheaper this way than buying a dedicated server.

Hi Availor,

Before spending a heap on a dedicated server and then maybe not being able to get what you want out of it, maybe it might be worth doing a few things:

1) Ask your host if they would compile it and install it for you.. If that fails, then:
    2) try getting a cheap VPS first. It might work all the same. (http://vpslink.com/ where VPS's start from just $7.95)
    3) if your happy with that then search around for good cheap dedicated hosts. www.whirlpool.net.au is a great place to start. I have used these guy's and they are great also: http://netdepot.com/

Good luck with this project mate

Rabbie.

Thanks a lot for your help, I will bare in mind the cheap prices in case I need a dedicated server, but right now I prefer spending a few dollars on news portal system, www.phpcow.com or just get a module for joomla or drupal.

My goal is to assemble/create a "box product" I can sell to a customer, without going through the trouble of the whole process of finding modules and addons for a cms. If a customer wants a simple personal website with a very intuitive WYSIWYG editor (including image server browser and uploader - the lack of many cms WYSIWYG editors) I will just install websitebaker cms - it will take me only a few hours to install and redesign the template - it will be cheap for the customer and a nice earn for me

phpcow offers 2 licenses script for 100$, so it's 50$ for each. When I translate the core to Hebrew I intend to sell it for at least 1,500$ per site. So I guess it's better than going through the hassle of trying to install a freeware. At least when I pay for something I get support for it

Thanks again anyway.