Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Feature Request: Linked pictures

Linked image means the original file is keeping outside drawing, somewhere at your hard disk. The program (AI) just keeps the link to this file. So, at first, your drawing will take much less size on your hard disk, and second, I can modify that original file in PhotoShop and when open drawing in AI again it will update image inside drawing automatically -- I don't have to place modified image again.
    This is not exactly the same as linked images, but if you launch PS from Xara (set PS as the default bitmap editor in Xara, then just doubleclick on the image) the placed bitmap will get updated with the changes you make in PS on save. You don't have to place it again, just return to Xara. I find this extremely useful.

InDesign links content as well, and it is not a problem. If a file is not found in the location described in the link, the program asks to fix the link.

One advantage is that you can create one view of a product, link it into many drawings, and if you change something on the file that everything links to, all of your Xara drawings would *automatically* update the next time you opened them up. That might be very handy in an advertising agency.

The "automatic" updating is what has caused a lot of problems in my experience.

Picture this:
    Friday evening and I'm ready to leave work and go home for a nice weekend. The telephone rings and the graphic department needs me to restore a folder for them. Someone "accidentally" saved an update that was all wrong (client change their mind or simply the boss wants to do it differently . They open up their backup file and it is "automatically" updated . Now they need the server backup from the previous night restored so they can get back to where they were at the beginning of the day. Cold dinner again because of someone else's mistake
    Last edited by Soquili; 17 January 2008 at 03:36 AM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by David O'Neil View Post
    Obviously, you would have to update the bitmap in the zip file. You could do it manually, or reopen Xara and recreate the zip file.
    My point was that if PhotoShop isn't on the next host PC, then the raster editing may not be repeatable in whichever raster software is available on that new host PC.

The beauty of Xara's embedded system is that is it non-destructive of the source bitmap.

+1
    That image import option is very useful for print designers. Xara is a "half solution", like it or not always need a ai and photoshop

Very interesting points ))

Guys, I just think you never made catalogs in Xara with many pages and many pictures inside ))) What I'm trying to request -- that to forget Illy completely )))

There is one more point for me to have an ability to have linked graphics -- I noticed, that if page size created in Xara is about 150 MB, it's often leads to crashing of Xara, and I have a pretty good enough PC...

Actually, Xara needs to have just a few major improvements to replace AI and CD completely.

I do understand clearly, that Xara would never make this function (link graphics), at least not in the nearest future for sure )))
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

Quote Originally Posted by huorn View Post
    +1
    That image import option is very useful for print designers. Xara is a "half solution", like it or not always need a ai and photoshop
    Hi huorn,

Is it possible you may have misunderstood the thread?
    This debate is about 'not importing' images into a Xara worksheet, but rather the value, if any, of 'linking' to them instead.
    In other words, Xara would store only a referrence to the image location rather than importing the data and saving it as an embedded file.

A bit like saving a web page as HTML only saves the image resource location (URL) but not the image itself as part of the single HTML file.

alexbozhenov, for a Xar file to exceed 150mb you are using lots of bitmaps right?
    I can see why this would bring to the 'linking images' thoughts.
    Personally, I have never had any file in any graphics software come close to that size, vector software in particular.

Hi Soquili,
    nope i understood it clearly, i think it must be choice to include image in xara file or keep it for direct correcting.
    Exactly "option", in import dialog, or maybe in bitmap gallery.

>> I have never had any file in any graphics software come close to that size
    lucky you

pardon me, i know that it's truly hard to understood my english

I think Xara should have both.

When it's a one person one project job, not a problem embedding. Although I have to say that 150megs probably wouldn't be unheard of if you have many raster images all optimized for press. However, when you think beyond the single designer model, the linking option becomes very appealing.

There are many times when you will have teams working on a single project. Layout, typesetting, graphic artists, and even editors all working on the same project. A linked environment in alexbozhenov's case would allow say a graphic artist to continue working on the catalog photos while the layout artist is designing the conceptual piece. It's fairly common.

But then again, perhaps Xara isn't the application to for a team project.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    My point was that if PhotoShop isn't on the next host PC, then the raster editing may not be repeatable in whichever raster software is available on that new host PC.

The beauty of Xara's embedded system is that is it non-destructive of the source bitmap.
    The raster editing is saved in the linked file, only the "master" application is required.

Linking is also, by nature, non-destructive, in the master application. It does require you to keep a copy of the original for backup, and there embedding can sometimes save the day. Like it would have in Soquili's example.

I'm very happy with the current Photoshop-link implementation in XPro. It's a breeze, and suits a solo worker well.