Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: The trouble with Vista

Very true.. My prob was on my end alone, I find that disabling all the eye-candy (which I have no desire for) even in Linux... everything runs like a charm.
    It's tough to run as many apps at the same time as I do, with eye-candy running in the background without enough ram to support it
    I'm the type who does not care how pretty or cool a window looks... but rather, just how many I can run at one time
    But, by the time everybody fixes all the bugs and figures this stuff out.... there will be 3d hologram projecting pc's on the shelves

Two steps forward, two steps back...

After much frustration with Vista I have decided to go back to using Window XP.
    Luckily I didn't get rid of my old desktop computer after I bought the new laptop with the Vista operating system.
    Vista just has too many issues with older software, and seems to run slower than XP.

Here is a link to an interesting article on this subject.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9590_22-6220201.html

- Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by AndFarr View Post
    Vista just has too many issues with older software, and seems to run slower than XP.
    It's very common to expect older code to run on newer OSes so I'm not suggesting you haven't given it any consideration.
    Be thankfull you aren't a Mac user - where software incompatibility is parr for the course on each OS upgrade.
    However I can hold my hand on my heart and say that the only software that has personally given me any grief under Vista is HP's Scanjet 4980 drivers released for Vista (it's an older model not originally developed for use with Vista).
    I don't blame Vista, I blame HP for releasing flakey updates.

I use all the software I use on XP. Even PaintShopPro version 6 runs fine under Vista.
    As for speed? I haven't done any benchmarking, but I tweaked XP and I tweaked Vista too - to me they run just as well on the same hardware (dual boot PC).

I'm sorry your Vista experience hasn't been a good one. However it may just be possible that a reformat and fresh clean Vista install without all the cr*pware that laptop makers are so fond of bundling would have made things much better.

Laptops I sell are always decr*pified before they go out to the customer.
    I do this manually, but as an indication of how important the problem has become please SEE HERE

Sledger is right on the mark.

When I still had the headache of having to manage a wide area network for a corporation. All computers (desktop and laptop) were reconfigured (decr*pified ) before allowing a user to see or touch it. Anything that was not part of the bare bottom OS was removed. Customized configurations of Internet Explorer and MS Office were installed and almost everything else was locked down so the user could not change things or install more cr*pware.

I do not use a dual boot system, but I do have Vista installed on a computer that previously had XP installed. No changes of hardware were made and the computer boots faster and runs applications faster than when XP was the OS.

The only application that I could not run on Vista is Ulead Cool 3D which refuses to install itself. Not a Vista problem but a Ulead problem.
    Last edited by Soquili; 29 November 2007 at 07:44 AM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Sounds like your system is rather over-specced for running Xara or Vista.

What else are you doing that you need have spent so much on your system?
    Sorry for the delay in getting back

I'm Running

Solid works 2004,
    Maya
    Mudbox
    3dmax
    adobe photoshop cs 2
    illy cs2
    audition
    premier pro
    macromedia dreamweaver freehand fireworks
    Corel graphics suite X3
    Autocad 2008
    Manga studio 3.0

i use most of these applications every week, the manga studio is just for trial and to see what i can do with it.

havent had a chance to run it yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Hi Robbie,

Sorry to hear about the surge. It is amazing how beautiful arc patterns can become

It does sound like you have improved your system and it's performance.

If you haven't already done so, may I suggest a heavy duty surge suppressor followed by a good UPS unit. I live in a rural area where the power fluctuates and surges are a daily routine.
    picked up an itrust one last week so all's good so far