Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: panic question: transfering artwork into Word

There are some important differences between using the Windows Clipboard or using the "import" functions of a software package:

Remi

indeed
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks all, I'm at work and snuck onto talkgraphics. :-o I won't be able to get back to this until tomorrow night, but looks like it should be a snap. Again thanks for the help.............Ahhhhh Talkgraphics.....what a winner!!

Tim,

Another thing to keep in mind ... I've found that some graphics (especially those containing fonts other than the standard) look awful in word ... but they print beautifully. So, if you try the copy and paste, try printing before you decide it doesn't work.

Mickie

Tim,
    I use XX and am doing lots of this XX to Word stuff at the moment. I do the following.

1. In XX export graphic as a PNG. The only thing I change is the bitmap size. This defaults at 96dpi. I change that to 300dpi. "Save as drawing" is default and I leave it at that. Make sure that you clean up your drawing before exporting. Otherwise the PNG can grab things that are off-canvas and sometimes hidden, and will give you unexpected results.

2. In Word simply Insert/Picture/From file then go to your PNG file and select it.

3. If necessary move, scale etc your picture on the Word page.

Saving your Word file embeds the graphics and you can keep, send everything together. The file size will jump of course.
    With Word you can also have your graphics linked to the text rather than embedded. I don't like this because things can get separated too easily. However, some people go this way because a text file is small and speeds up workflow if you are dealing with a graphic intensive publication.

In my experience problems with Word come with increasing complexity. Ie importing a single graphic should give no trouble. But bring in three or four graphics and add a couple of photos and then add double column text and then a footnote .....and then a page number...........all on the same page and I guarantee you will have FUN.

Erik

Just drag the Xar file into Word and adjust as required, it works a treat, drag and drop from explorer