Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Importing Text Problems

Customers type there own personalised message on our website for there chosen gift selecting the font and colour.

Then we access our CMS and copy the text which was just in basic format, and manually change the text to the correct colour/font

But to speed things up we asked our web designers to have the font already in the customers chosen format thinking we could just paste in into Corel but it does not work!! it defaults back to 'default artists text'

This is where the problem arises.
    IP

Your Webdeveloper should select the text from the database (I'm sure it's stored within your CMS) together with the font and the color and export it as a PDF file (there are some PDF libraries available for this). After that, you should be able to import the PDF into Corel Draw (with correct color, font, text).

Remi
    IP

The trouble is we are producing hundreds of orders per day and each order will have text on, at the moment we have screens open and are just cutting from one page to the other, with the emphisis on speed this is why we are trying to cut out the need to be selecting the customers text and colour

Would the method you mention be quite time consuming?

Thanks
    Zack
    IP

Ok, you're producing hundreds of orders per day. So, you need to optimize your order process: If a customer sends the order, your Website saves the order into your database (CMS), right? Now, you have two options:
    1. Enhance the order process to create a PDF file with the right font/size/color right after saving the order in your database or
    2. develop a Intranet solution to select all open orders and creates PDF files with the right font/size/color for each order.

The PDF files could be saved into the filesystem of your Intranet-Server or could be emailed to you.

I don't know the details of your gifts, but perhaps it's possible to create the PDF files not only with the right font/size/color, but also with the right layout for each available gift, so that you don't need to start Corel Draw at all in the end.

This is a typical web application, as I do for my customers.

Remi
    IP

I'm in agreement with Remi.

Essentially, make the web work for you. Bringing it into Corel is just another layer of time comsuming complexity.

Although, instead of pulling it from the CMS as a PDF, can your developers have the PDF created when the customer saves their design? Then you have folder containing all the PDF's of that day's orders, ready to go. You just need to print them.

I do like the PDF approach though.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?
    IP

Cheers guys.

That would be fantastic if we could produce something like that, another snag point is that on some occasions the text has to be enlarged to fit, so would that work? would the PDF be editable?

Thanks
    IP