Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Illuminations

A while back I saw a tutorial on doing illuminations with Xara (don't remember the version). Can't find it now. Does anyone remember it.

John

Not clear in what you mean by illuminations. Can you be more specific?

Gary

Do you mean glowing effects?

Illuminated. From Old English. A manuscript or book embellished with ornamental letters, scrolls, minatures and/or other designs usually in gold and red, but also in silver and other colored leaf. Usually thought of in terms of medieval manuscripts done by monks. For a look at something more modern you can examine the patriotic illuminations done Authur Szyk.

http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/swann/szyk/

If I remember correctly the tutorial I'm referring to was a example of how to make a piece of the design. I remember it as being elegant and the technique similar to making celtic knots. Hey at 71 I can't remember everything I ever knew.

John

It wouldn't of happened to have been the one based on this graphic was it?

http://www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/...luminating.jpg

If so, the tutorial is long gone. It was on designer.com and was a complete bag of crap. I would seriously consider using the instructions from the back of a packet of "cup a soup" as your starting point before you use any tutorial that I wrote.

Pure rubbish.

If it wasn't that one... well, just ignore me and go about your day.

J

Eureka! That's it! I still think it's very good am still impressed by your work. I don't remember any of the details of the tutorial but I do remember that it got a good reaction in several places, at least I am now sure I'm not crazy. I believe I did most of the tutorial and I don't remember it being that hard to follow.

Thanks,Joe

Maybe you'll want to redo the instructions some time in the future.

John

http://www.aridi.com/

Some examples that may be of interest. Rich

John,

I'm glad you liked it and that it was a help to you. I'm also glad to hear that it was well received by others. I was never very happy with the tutorial when I did it and thought it was less than I was capable of. I found tutorial writing hard, not the process so much as the concept. I have a very unorganized way of working and my work is such that I have a hard time thinking that anything I do would be a help to anyone else.. thinking "geez, wouldn't they just screw around with it until it looked like they wanted like I do?" So I thought about it for 3 weeks and wrote it in 30 minutes and regretted it every since.

Glad to hear it wasn't globally received that way. If I stumble onto the text I'll let you know, but that was probably 5 computers ago, the chances are slim.

J

I remember seeing some Illuminated letters on one of the versions of xara's clip art. Have not seen it lately, so do not know if it is even on X1's CD...

Here's an illumination of the letter T on a 400 year old document. Effective use of the celtic knot type design as well.
    Egg

http://www.xlwebdesign.co.uk/tg/illumination.jpg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host