Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Threaded View

Default Re: are there any plug-ins for Xara LX?

Yes, I had the name wrong... )apologies).... I was going on it from memory.... (always a huge mistake for me)
    But Bill, I do recall reading somewhere that Magix< does not like the idea of releasing some final codes?? I could be mistaken on this as well.... but I think Im not... it's about a 50/50 problem which has things stuck where they are
    But, this is also why Linux has it's own issues too.... When you go to purchase software at a store, you never see in the system requirments.... "Linux kernel" etc.?? You see Ms and Mac....
    alot of people Linux users seem to think that "open-source" should mean "everything for free"?? How is Linux ever going to go "main-stream" as alot of folks would like to see (in homes, etc.) with this outlook??
    Everyone thinks Xara should just make "all" their unique features "free"... where would that put Xara?? I do not follow this faith... I would gladly pay for Xara for Linux, just the same as any other format.... (even if they dont go full GPL)... the same for alot of other software.... like children's educational items.......
    The one downfall of Linux... is the "fanatical" users / developers... which make up most of the community.... (shame really)
    What I remember reading was, Magix does not wish to go full GPL (nor does Xara) as then anyone would be able to replicate their unique system... and it would, in the end... bury them....., And yes... Linux developers have done practically "nothing" to move on with LX simply for this reason..... (which I feel is "fanatic absurdity") and a pity to all like myself
    Xara could have such an expanded market/clientel.... and the Linux community would gain the "best" vector graphics system on the market....
    In any case... sorry for the mis-naming... but as for the subject, Im sure if someone looked for it, they'd find what Im talking about
    I side with Xara / Magix on their decision. And feel the Linux community should begin to soften their view on these matters.... to expand their software compatibility. This would attract far more users
    I have no prob with software not geing full GPL.... if it's a good product, it's a good product.... (which is why I use Solaris as well)
    Last edited by geminiguy; 28 September 2007 at 04:34 AM.
    IP