Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: Do you use MS Word, or an alternative word processor?

Voters
343. This poll is closed
  • Yes, I use MS Word.

193 56.27%
  • No, I use an alternative.

150 43.73%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Do you use MS Word, or an alternative word processor?

I hate Word with a passion. My reasons might annoy or even anger some, so I'll spare the details.

I have no use for a Word Processor at all, so I cannot really be much use as a voter except to say that if I really needed a WP I see no reason why I shouldn't use OpenOffice.

For text I use Notepad, for Web I use Programmers Notepad & Dreamweaver.
    For other textual writings and communications I use email (and forums).
    IP

I prefer WordPerfect as I also find it easier. I avoid M$ products when there are quality alternatives available which is usually the case.

Callie aka Snow`Star
    Last edited by Snow`Star; 29 August 2007 at 04:10 AM.
    IP

Wink Re: Do you use MS Word, or an alternative word processor?

I use OpenOffice,
    comes in gaelic too
    IP

Open Office is good. The price can't be bettered but I really feel I should donate soon.
    IP

Unregistered Guest

Word, everything else would just make me look as a hippy trying to be different just for the sake of it.
    IP

Aha - I knew it, all Linux users are Hippies!!

<unregistered picks up MS paycheque>
    IP

I can't understand people who just slate a programme because it is popular or it is slow to load or just to be different. What I look for is a programme that does the job for me and it runs in my machine. I think that Word 2007 is as good as it gets once I got over the new interface and back into the programme. It takes the hassle out of so many tasks and as I make up reports from various work docs given to me from companies for publishing this makes importing into InDesign so easy in the newest version.

Load OF into my machine a year last October and gave it a 3 month trial and was impressed at the quality and it would be good in a low spec. Biz. computer but it does not have half of the features that word has in its new guise.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

I use Word for nearly all my word-processing tasks. I used to prefer Wordperfect, I found it much more powerful as it seemed to incorporate all that Word and Publisher did together. However over the years of using Word because that's what business almost insisted that I use, I find that I have forgotten how Wordperfect works and where the commands are, that it's now actually easier just to default to Word.

I also have Open Office and Star Office, but don't find them anywhere near as intuitive as Word, and so tend not to use them - Did use Star Draw, but since I bought Xara Xtreme that's no use anymore. I should just uninstall them and have done with it.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP

I use OpenOffice mostly, but also the latest MS Office as our boss wanted it and probably more are going to use it just to be compatible with the rest of the world. At home I have only OpenOffice due to the fact that I don't need all the features and MS Office is quite pricey (understatement of the day). Also, for very long OOo could export straight to PDF while MS Word couldn't. With the 2007 version you can, but I haven't really got into the user interface yet. I guess MS Word and Office is great for power users but if you are only going to use a fraction of its potential it's a waste of money.
    Paul the Gnurfmeister!
    Home: http://www.gnurf.net/v3/ | My stuff for sale: http://www.zazzle.com/gnurf* | Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pasoderholm

IP

Couldn't agree more Paul. You'd think with the money they've made, they could afford to make things more reasonably priced wouldn't you!
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP