Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A 3D program that works with Xara

I'm wanting to import 3d built files into Xara imported as say an AI or .pdf file. I've been having trouble building things in Xara that have a 3D feel to them. For example a park bench with wooden slats. I was trained in the program 3dsmax and these type things are relatively easy to do, but I've tried exporting as a .AI file and that didn't work. I guess I need to contact a 3dsmax forum about that. But I was wondering if there was another program that can build 3d files and then import them into Xara? I didn't really see these capabilities in the Xara 3D progam. Sure would be nice if we could create 3d rectangles and cylinders in Xara. Well, any help would be much appreciated.
    Steps

Default Re: A 3D program that works with Xara

Google SketchUp can export to PDF which Xara can import. Also, it can export to PNG.

There is a free version
    http://sketchup.google.com/download.html
    Last edited by jclements; 12 August 2007 at 10:10 PM.

my choice Rhinoceros - www.rhino3d.com
    nurbs modeler, easy import/export in 2d shapes, support many formates ai, eps, pdf
    also it's most advanced shape editor, i use it for difficult curves, massives,
    blueprints, etc

I have Rhino installed, but I didn't see the export feature for .AI files. Is this because I'm using the evaluation copy? It also looks like its missing some pluggins. I might need to install it again. Well, I believe Rhino is a much more organized program than 3DSMAX. I like simple but effective programs (Xara)!

Quote Originally Posted by steps View Post
    I'm wanting to import 3d built files into Xara imported as say an AI or .pdf file. I've been having trouble building things in Xara that have a 3D feel to them. For example a park bench with wooden slats. .
    Steps
    I guess this is not what you really want but I did this from a photo of a garden seat I built for a friend recently. I cut out the outline and this was the result.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chair.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	40579  
    Norman. The Flying Scotsman

Hey thats awesome how you did that chair. I'm just building cartoon images with thick outlines. Thats why I'm going to build the scene props in a 3D program and import them into Xara and then give them a cartoon look. Thanks for the help.
    Steps

Since you cannot transform 3D shapes in Xara, do you really need anything more than a 3D program that will render a JPEG or PNG? Transform in the 3D, render, then bring into Xara and trace (or bring into Inkscape and use Inkscape's highly effective trace utility) -- yes?

New scene - transform in 3D, render, bring in... etc. You may not need vector export/import.

I've lost track of free, open source 3D (never got the hang of Blender), but there has to be something out there.

Gehman,
    I think thats what I'll do. I'll create the 3d props in Rhino and render them out. Then bring them in and trace them in Xara. That will give me the cartoon look and will fit the scenes nicely. I just like how the 3d program take care of the perspective with absolute accuracy. I don't stink at drawing, but I do a lot of erasing when drawing objects in 3D. Its very time consuming, and its nice to have a computer file for re-use at anytime. Thanks,

If you have the resources for Rhino, more power to you.

If spending less is interesting, and you're interested: For many years, I've used a fairly powerful 3D app, Web 3D, originally from Asymetrix, later Click2Learn, later Docent, currently SumTotal.

When Asymetrix scotched it, a Web designer in Daytona Beach FL obtained the rights to it and he sells a D/L version for $70.

He says it's about done, though. (The original development group was laid off by Asymetrix more than 7 years ago). Apparently it won't work in a 64-bit environment, and there may be problems in Vista, even with compatability modes switched on. Works fine in Windows XP pro.

That said, if you haven't been inflicted with Vista, Web3D has many highly intuitive modes of manipulation, lighting, motion,etc., but unfortunately, warping (handy for cartoons) while available is not easy to understand or control. The up side is that it can import 3DS and and AutoCAD DFX 3D files, and there are tons of free 3DS models on the Web.

Web 3D: http://www.digitalvideosolutions.com/web3d.htm

EDIT: just for fun, attached piano and warped piano

Name:	piano.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	6.4 KB 
ID:	40599   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	warpiano.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	40600  

Last edited by DGehman; 14 August 2007 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steps View Post
    Hey thats awesome how you did that chair. I'm just building cartoon images with thick outlines. Thats why I'm going to build the scene props in a 3D program and import them into Xara and then give them a cartoon look. Thanks for the help.
    Steps
    I took a photo of the chair cut out the chair using shape tool then select piece to be removed, then hold down shift ,select the piece you wish to keep, then up to menu Arrange, combine shapes, subtract shape. When finished apply shadow if required.

Name:	John's Seat.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	40605  
    Norman. The Flying Scotsman