Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default PNG Export Problem

I am surprised that someone hasn't brought this up yet as I am sure there are people here that use flash and Photoshop, anyway, the latest version of Xara does not export PNG's correctly. If you export a vector or graphic to PNG with alpha, when you open it in Photoshop, it says that it is like 95.987 dpi in Photoshop. This makes me wonder if you ever can ever get a true bitmap into flash that is not going to be scaled slightly without having to go into Photoshop and reset the dpi to an whole number instead of a number with decimal points which is going to cause problems.

Secondly, in the new version of Flash CS3, you can not export PNG to Flash at screen res because screen res in Xara is 96 and Flash is 72. So whatever you did in Xara will look smaller on the same screen in Flash. This was fixed in the last version actually Flash 8 it did not do this nor did it do this in MX2004 v7. It was broken in Flash 6. I was really glad when they fixed the export for Flash 7 and 8 because you didn't have to use a template for Flash scaling.

The problem is that when you change the resolution in Xara from 96 to 72, it also changes the overall image size. Shouldn't there be an option that changes the dpi but does not change the overall size. This way it would solve the problem that seems to be going back and forth with this app and Flash/Photoshop.

The workaround in Xara right now is to use a template for exporting to flash which isn't really a good method if you plan to use the artwork for something else besides flash or just scale everything you want to export to 133.33% and export at 72dpi. This could be easily solved for future changes whether it be new versions of Flash that caused it to break or Xara changing it's code by adding the ability to set dpi independent of overall image size.

has anyone noticed these problems or is it just me going crazy.

s.g.
    IP

Default Re: PNG Export Problem

s.g. All of the above is the fault of Adobe (and earlier Macromedia). They ported their software across to the PC from the Mac but never resolved the conflict native screen definitions (72/96 dpi). Why are they still using a screen resolution of 72dpi when the vast majority of their sales are for the PC market?

I don't have Flash CS3, so I can't checkout your problem with png's. I suspect the answer lies with the 133.33% ratio. The .33 bit being important as it's a recurring number, so that's why Photoshop reports it as 95.987 dpi. However I don't think this is a real world problem.

As you say, Xara sorted this problem out For Flash 7 & 8, si why your having problems in 9 I've know idea.

One thing to check, in the preference window what is the clipboard option set to?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!1.gif 
Views:	663 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	40471  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP