Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Austin A 35

Default Austin A 35

My first attempt at a car, and the first car I ever owned. It was fourth or fifth hand when I bought it in 1970. It cost me a month's wages (about 50 quid). This is not the finished article, but it is finished as far as I'm concerned. It really started out as a doodle, and after a while I realised that it was taking shape rather well, so I ploughed on, but unfortunately all on one layer! Even in wireframe mode it was getting more and more difficult to make selections, so the interior of the car and the offside and rear windows are not completed.

Oh, and in case you should think I'm good at glass, I cheated on the 4 front lamps, and selected them from the original photo and pasted them into the drawing with some feathering. I'll have to study the glass effect thoroughly before attempting another car. But I learned a good deal in the process of doing this in about 20 hours of work.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	austin a35.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	40410  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Default Re: Austin A 35

You have caught the spirit of the car very well Bob especially the front grill. I remember that model very well.
    Norman. The Flying Scotsman

Nicely drawn Bob. I remember a friend of mine having the A35 van, that 'flying A' bonnet mascot was lethal as his girl friend found out when she decided to sit on the bonnet as he drove round the pub car park, he braked she slid forward......... enough to say it brought tears to my eyes and I was not the one who had to have all those stiches.

pretty cool car Bob...

Drawing a grey car on a grey backgound gotta be pretty hard.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

by the way Bob What font is that in the drawing?
    Norman. The Flying Scotsman

Quote Originally Posted by parahandy View Post
    by the way Bob What font is that in the drawing?
    Hi Norman,
    Thanks for your encouraging comments, and as for the font,
    I don't honestly know at the moment, you may know from my amended signature, that I have rather a lot of fonts, and rather than try and find it in my collection, I just googled "Austin Logo", downloaded the bitmap, and then hand traced it. The figures, 35 are the Hobo font. I'll let you know if I find it in my collection, but I suspect is was probably designed for the company.

"...it brought tears to my eyes..." Doc, enough to bring tears to the eyes of anyone reading of this unhappy escapade I imagine that the mascot would be outlawed today under some health and safety ruling, probably in this case at least, wisely.

"Drawing a grey car on a grey backgound gotta be pretty hard." John, for me drawing any coloured car on any coloured background would have been pretty hard. I suppose a white car in a snowdrift would be easy enough, though.

Saludos a todos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Not as easy as a black bear in a coal mine...

I am pretty good at drawing those...
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook