Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Most confused on transparent PNG

Can't seem to get a PNG with transparent background. If you can simply point me to a tutorial, any link is welcome. I've tried searching here, but don't come up with any answers that make sense to me.

I have an image created by taking a JPEG, building a filled vector shape corresponding to its outline, then combine > intersect to make a "floating object" kind of thing. Then I added a shadow.

Because the floating object will go on a red background, I put a red rectangle behind the floating object to minimize alias fringing.

When I export as a transparent PNG, it comes into Corel Photo-Paint with the full red background. Maybe this is a Corel thing?

Anyway, what is the "Image A" and "Image B" in the PNG Export Bitmap Options? Why do I have to click on the red color and make it the transparent color on both A and B, clicking "preview" each time?

How can I obtain a floating object (transparent background) that will work in other programs?

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snap1.gif 
Views:	248 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	39552  
    Last edited by DGehman; 05 July 2007 at 01:10 PM.

Default Re: Most confused on transparent PNG

If you have Xara Xtreme 3.2 or better you can export in PSD format. Should preserve the layers as is.

Then you can do as you wish such as the example below where I removed the black circle and relocated the cat photo.

The first image was done in Corel Paint Shop Pro XI.

I do not know the capabilities of Corel Photo Paint, but if it can handle PSD import preserving the layers it should be manageable.

The second jpg was what it looked like in Xara Xtreme 3.2 and exported via PSD format and imported into Corel PSP XI
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cat.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	39553   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	catpsdexample.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	39554  

Last edited by jamesmc; 05 July 2007 at 01:29 PM.

could try changing the the color depth option to true color plus alpha
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Jamesmc - how did you remove the black circle?

Handrawn: w/true color + alpha, I can't seem to select red as the transparent color. As a result, the whole drawing, red & all, is in the exported file -- along with no alpha channel...

I RTFM and found out that Image A and Image B are ways for me to see other types of export and/or other export settings, then selecting the best. Very handy. Not, however, intuitive.

have you got the red rectangle selected? - it only needs to be behind your image for anti-aliasing , if it is selected it will be exported as well
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Ah - where I was once blind, I can see again... I have to select the floating object ONLY and THEN export to PNG... thanks, handrawn.

Quote Originally Posted by DGehman View Post
    Jamesmc - how did you remove the black circle?
    Using PSP XI
    • Select that layer
    • Used magic wand to take out the bulk of the black circle - 1 click on black circle, hit delete.
    • Used background eraser to go around the cat's head.
    • Used soften tool to blend any jagged pixels of black leftover along outline of the cat's head.