Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: What is the absolute relevance of bitmap editors?

I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly, but the picture forming in my mind is exactly the opposite... doing away with vectors and creating an infinite resolution bitmap instead!
    Like fractals which you could zoom in indefinitely so that details are revealed. It would be interesting if such a method could be created whereby details are stored and called up dynamically only if zoomed in. So bitmaps can overcome the fixed resolution limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Grafixman View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly, but the picture forming in my mind is exactly the opposite... doing away with vectors and creating an infinite resolution bitmap instead!
    Like fractals which you could zoom in indefinitely so that details are revealed. It would be interesting if such a method could be created whereby details are stored and called up dynamically only if zoomed in. So bitmaps can overcome the fixed resolution limit.
    What you speak of is what vector graphics are.

I think I got my head round what your saying Xhris.
    Its perhaps a tad theoretical, but I can see the mathematics there in principle having thought it through.
    I'm not technical enough however to know if theory can be transformed into practice, but it would make sense to try if experts think it feasible.

What matters most though I would venture is that we have the right tools to do the job[s], whatever their basis in code.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I think I got my head round what your saying Xhris.
    Its perhaps a tad theoretical, but I can see the mathematics there in principle having thought it through.
    I'm not technical enough however to know if theory can be transformed into practice, but it would make sense to try if experts think it feasible.

What matters most though I would venture is that we have the right tools to do the job[s], whatever their basis in code.
    You're right there. Since I wrote my last larger post in this thread, I can't help but admire what (in principle) feathering a bitmap is actually doing. It's (hopefully) like looking into future possibilities.