Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: Is the film camera dead?

Voters
721. This poll is closed
  • Yes

309 42.86%
  • No

412 57.14%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Default Re: Is the film camera dead? Discussion and poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    No it doesn't. In theory, yes, but reality is different than theory. The point of music is not to just store it, but to listen to it. When you take that reality in to account then vinyl records simply sound awful after several uses.
    Yep and that is why you record them to magnetic tape so your vinyl
    would stay crisp. Atleast that is how I did it. And bad ones you clean
    and record with a small film layer of distilled water on it, takes away the
    crackle pops etc. a lot. That is also why I have the Magix program
    Magix music cleaning lab for several years now. You can sample
    at a higher rate then CD`s normally have.
    be aware, not to become a ware.
    IP

Six years ago I purchased a Kodak DC240 for £350, an obscene amount for a 1.3 megapixel camera by today's standards and my pair of OM10's and the rest of the kit were shoved into the bottom of the wardrobe, hardly ever to be used in anger again... basically because I wanted images for the web so getting rid of pixels was the order of the day. My dark room is now a cluttered office...

... but the OM10's have been given a new life thanks to my daughter, who is fascinated "the manual adapter"! She carries one in her photo-bag beside a Nikon D80, which has mind-boggling capabilities compared to my old Kodak.

As for film, disposable cameras will keep it alive at a basic level for the for-seeable future but try getting B/W developed at your local Jessops in ten years time, it's not easy even now... how long before the first digital disposable, if there isn't one already? What will be the de facto digital standard ten years hence... 50 mega-pixel or will it be 100+?

Technology is advancing at an alarming rate (not a bad thing!) and I think film is destined to disappear for all but the die-hard enthusiast in the not to distant future.
    Last edited by w00dy; 20 February 2007 at 01:21 PM.
    "Second class fairway is better than first class rough!"
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by w00dy View Post
    Six years ago I purchased a Kodak DC240 for £350, an obscene amount for a 1.3 megapixel camera by today's standards and my pair of OM10's and the rest of the kit were shoved into the bottom of the wardrobe, hardly ever to be used in anger again... basically because I wanted images for the web so getting rid of pixels was the order of the day. My dark room is now a cluttered office...

... but the OM10's have been given a new life thanks to my daughter, who is fascinated "the manual adapter"! She carries one in her photo-bag beside a Nikon D80, which has mind-boggling capabilities compared to my old Kodak.

As for film, disposable cameras will keep it alive at a basic level for the for-seeable future but try getting B/W developed at your local Jessops in ten years time, it's not easy even now... how long before the first digital disposable, if there isn't one already? What will be the de facto digital standard ten years hence... 50 mega-pixel or will it be 100+?

Technology is advancing at an alarming rate (not a bad thing!) and I think film is destined to disappear for all but the die-hard enthusiast in the not to distant future.
    I know the feeling of having payed way too much, I bought one of the
    first 3.1 megapixel camera`s from sony, 2 years later I could have bought
    10 of those for that price.

But I was actually waiting for an idea that was launched at the beginning
    of this revolution, a way to place a small device, as small as a film roll,
    into your old camera that had a CCD chip in it , so you could still use your old camera and still make
    digital photo`s too, never heard from it anymore, maybe not technically possible?
    be aware, not to become a ware.
    IP

Several years ago, I seem to remember that someone tried to market a device of sorts to do just that, I may be wrong but obviously, it never got out of the blocks in a big way.
    IP

Basilis Guest

Juergen this is my view of the topic.

1. Capacity. When you spend a day taking pictures, you can easily have thousands of images, that on film would take a lot of space and would have to be handled with care. On electronic storage, you put them all in a single pocket.

((Thats what makes the film unbeatable..When you have a maximum of 36 frames,The mental alertness when you click is augmented.You dont just click.))

2. Ease of use. With the ability to take thousands of images quickly, you dont need be a good photograph to get that special moment. If just 1 out of 1000 images is THE one, things are fine. That doesnt make you a good photographer but gives you the chance to make at least some good images now and then )

((So the point in your opinion is to produce images just out of luck?Thats like never learning how to play the guitar but just grunging it and recording years of data,expecting a good riff to show up every now and then))

3. Price. Just calculate films for 1k images vs. storage you can use over and over.

((how much did your DSLR cost?))

4. Save the world .) I dont want to know what I did to the environment creating images in the dark room in my bathtub.

((If you mix the developer and stop bath before disposing them you neutralize the mixture.Ever thought how harmful your DSLR batteries are?))
    IP

Talking Re: Is the film camera dead? Discussion and poll.

For the purist, there'll always be an affection for film but me, it's horses for courses... it's just click, click, click.. no time for arranging and and faffing about, I suppose it's wysiwyg photography!!! Sometimes it works, sometimes, it doesn't! That said, at the end of the day, you've either got the knack for taking photos or you haven't. What makes a good picture, as the saying goes... "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!"

As for audio, I'm tone deaf, love old Motown classics, which sound more or less the same to me played on my car CD player or the PC sound surround. Many years ago, a mate at college was an audio freak and he had the very top of the range gear... Floyd sounded great... but what a game, couldn't be doing with that any more. The decks, amps, speakers that I grew up with are all almost totally alien to the kids of today, iPods, mp3 players are the order of the day, portability reigns!

People will always seek the holy grail in terms of image and sound reproduction but as for me, it's like wine... if I like it, it's good... doesn't matter if it cost £5 or £50 a bottle!

I'd take the expensive bottle every day... if I could afford!
    IP

Rayner, John Guest

Film is dying if not already dead. Kodak, Fugi and Agfa no longer does film. Better look for film in the buggy whip store.
    IP

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

If you think of the 'market share' of film photography vs. digital I think its clear that film is quickly in decline. Although film will still be available for some years to come, eventually film will not be a mass consumer product it once was but a specialty product relegated mostly to artists and scientists. The range of film products available will narrow and the prices increase. Furthermore as the market share declines, it will get more difficult for consumers to get traditional film developed. While its likely that there will continue to be mail-in type services, eventually places like Wal-Marts won't bother with developing film. At your local mall, in time, it will be unlikely you'll find any shop to get your film developed and purchasing film may require you to order it online because it won't be stocked in your local stores. Buying a film camera will get more difficult too. The range of what's available will decline and prices will climb.

These changes have nothing to do with whether we believe film offers higher quality etc. You can love traditional film photography all you want but it isn't going to change the trend: Not dead yet but definitely dying.

Regards, Ross
    IP

Unregistered Guest

Talking Re: Is the film camera dead? Discussion and poll.

Who cares?! Photographers used to be a bit like tennis players. A lot of people could smack the ball with a racquet, but only a few won Grand Slams, and they could do it hitting with frying pans. But just as racquets went from wood to graphite and aerogel, thereby decreasing the depth of competition, the abandonment of film in favor of fool-proof technology will make EVERYONE a Pro!
    With a little visualization and talent - ANYBODY with a nice digicam can produce professional quality stuff! So in 10 years the world will be full of billions and billions of beautiful images with none enjoying an especially exalted status. Long live visual democracy! Power to the picture people! Who needs the wedding photographers anymore?! Do it yourself, i.e. let Photoshop create the world IN YOUR IMAGE!
    IP

Digital photography has become the gold standard of photography, but the film camera is by no means dead - not until Boots start selling disposable digital cameras!

Last week it was my girlfriend's 21st birthday, and - rather than risk losing an expensive digi camera in the mayhem - people had disposable 'film' cameras. Like I said, until they start selling disposable digi cameras, film isn't dead.

IP