Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Latest news

Default Re: Latest news

I have a feeling, steve, that I will migrate to InkScape full time rather than the next version of Xara, more's the pity. XARA is small and fast, Inkscape is bigger and slower (and i dislike the linux multi-desktop interface... hope someone writes a 'deweirdifier' as they have for GIMP), but it is concentrating on vector and vector only. It think it is headed toward being THE standard, especially for web design, with its excellent (and default) SVG output.

it is always said when a great love affair approaches its end (*sniff*).

geo.

Geo

Inkscape is faster in the new development version.
    Personally I don't find the UI a problem, but I'm used to linux.
    Let's hope, as has been expressed here frequently, that pro takes the 'vector' route - and xtreme the 'all things to all men' [we all know where that leads..].
    12 month ago if told I could only have one vector program it would have been xara no question.
    Now?
    It''s wide open.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Just wanted to add a +1 of my own to the "keep XXP a lean, mean vector editing machine" sentiment. Also, thanks to a couple of people for giving words to what has been bothering me about this (and which I could not articulate myself): Magix Photo Clinic is probably a fine applciation but I don't want or need a bitmap editor in my vector package. I never use XPE as it is...

I keep considering Inkscape, but haven't yet made the plunge. Having seen this I'm definately going to download it whenthis tool appears in a stable version;

http://www.inkscape.org/screenshots/...int-bucket.png

This looks really good. Does this result in a vector object as the fill?
    Last edited by MarkMyWords; 03 May 2007 at 02:23 PM.

yes vector fils - and they import into xarapro as vector via pdf - I'll organise an example, bear with me
    Nothing lasts forever...

This appears to have become the dominant thread for the imminent upgrade to Xara.

The general consensus appears to be that the desire/interest in bitmap editing abilities in Xara is slight. It could be argued that this sentiment may be short sighted; the marrying of bitmap and vector approaches to image composition is the way that most graphics applications are likely heading. Xara themselves have said (I think) in the past that a distinction between the two will likely diminish with time, and they appear to be making the transition. This is perhaps accelerated owing to the situation they now find themselves in (Magix ownership); it would likely have taken them years to produce a bitmap editing facility without this partnership, and this release reflects them taking advantage of the fortuitous situation.

Past discussions have spoken of the desire to treat bitmap operations on an object basis, which could be the approach for melding the two together. It will be interesting to see whether this is in actual fact the method that is employed in the coming Xara release, and whether or not it is slick. This could be compared to the approach (I think) of Adobe: two separate applications producing distinct and only indirectly-compatible results, and the approach of Microsoft: pixel layers and vector layers together in a program but remaining distinct. If the Xara approach works well, I suspect with time, it could be adopted by users as a desirable norm.

As has been the usual trend with the last few Xara updates, their goal appears to have been to expand their user base by opening up the application to as large an audience as possible e.g. DTP, flash, import and export options, bitmap etc. I suspect that once the user base is reasonably maximised, the updates will begin to focus primarily on vector functionality again. An appreciation for their possible ‘roadmap’ combined with patience will likely minimise any frustration in the content of these recent and coming upgrades.

This upgrade (which is quicker than normal) may likely be due to the Magix acquisition. But even if upgrades occur in increasingly regular intervals, this may not be a bad thing if the amount of new content is comparable to the yearly upgrades – which is possible with increasing staff. If a less than ideal scenario occurs where overly regular updates introduce little new content, people could always just skip an update cycle and purchase a subsequent second update that contains the comparable usual number of updates. (People aren’t obliged to upgrade just because the upgrade is there.) Therefore, this isn’t really a negative issue, providing that the upgrade costs balance.

I for one am looking forward to bitmap functions and the other updated content, and am confident that the execution will be done in typical Xara style – slick and fun to use.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMyWords View Post
    I keep considering Inkscape, but haven't yet made the plunge. Having seen this I'm definately going to download it whenthis tool appears in a stable version;

http://www.inkscape.org/screenshots/...int-bucket.png

This looks really good. Does this result in a vector object as the fill?
    here you go mark

I have grouped the shapes in the xar file - they maintain position but do not import grouped
    doing it this way you do not need to use a pen tool or join/intersect any shapes -just trace-fill-n'go
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by handrawn; 03 May 2007 at 03:53 PM.
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post
    [It] appears that the desire/interest in bitmap editing abilities in Xara is slight. It could be argued that this sentiment may be short sighted; the marrying of bitmap and vector approaches to image composition is the way that most graphics applications are likely heading.
    I agree, and have stated so several times. I fail to see how the addition of XPE, and now the Magix features, detract at all from the vector capabilities of Xara, anymore than the flash capability does (and I'm not a big fan of flash so haven't vested much in the way of learning/using those features).

From the outside looking in, it would seem that Xara has been exploring ways to keep Xtreme alive for some time now, and perhaps will now be able to focus on further development. Let's hope.

Many companies offer maintenance licenses in addition to the upgrade/full product price that guarantee you quick access to bug fixes and upgrades for a given time period. I'm not suggesting that Xara go this route, but the fact an upgrade comes out shortly after the acquisition by Magix doesn't particularly disturb me. I find it rather amusing that some are troubled, in light of the fact that there have been so many complaints in the past about the duration between upgrades (being too long, of course).

The things I'd love, but don't expect to see an a minor upgrade:

1. Gradient mesh.
    2. Improved text handling.
    3. Open API for both vector and bitmap plugins.
    4. Scripting.
    5. That swell tabbed interface from Xara LX...

That's excellent, thanks for taking the time to do this Steve, it looks just the job. Looking at the various features on the screenshots pages, I'm amazed. Lots of fun toys to play with in Inkscape, it's just that interface I need to come to terms with and the speed. LOL!

XChris, this is the kind of tool that will bring bitmap artists to Xtreme. Xtremes incredible speed and ease of use, makes 'painting' with it far easier (to me at least) than with other vector programs.

I think it is true, that dedicated bitmap editors will eventually become a minor tool in computer graphics, perhaps little more than XPE.

Pleasure Mark - the wider this gets known the better.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenWWinters View Post

From the outside looking in, it would seem that Xara has been exploring ways to keep Xtreme alive for some time now, and perhaps will now be able to focus on further development. Let's hope.
    The way to keep xara alive is:
    a] fix bugs
    b] fix brushes
    c] give us vector fills
    d] give us a gradient fill that works color to alpha

I do not see xara giving me:
    1] magic eraser
    2] RGB channel separations
    certainly not on the basis of magix photo clinic, which is nice but naff.

So I am still going to need photoshop, and so I don't need pixel bells and whistles in xxp
    Nothing lasts forever...