Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Free Domain and Free Domain Name?

Quote Originally Posted by GeoBen View Post
    there may be no free lunches but there are lots of worthwhile free things on the net. Software, reference material and yes... an good free host as mentioned above.

I can understand the reservations, but I am not an idiot. i did considerable research on the matter. Awardspace has some weird notions, but you can get 200 mg of free space, php/Perl/MySQL FTP POP3/Imap and so on and so forth. It works. I use it.

geo.
    hey Geo go easy there Man
    I don't think anyone is knocking you, certainly not calling you an idiot.
    Just advising caution.
    I quite like the AwardSpace site - enough to try it out myself in fact.
    Let you know how I get on and thanks for the info
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Or a free blog?

Remi

Three things I note whilst registering free hosting:
    1] ftp file size limit of 500KB
    2] avi and mov files not hosted [amongst others]
    3] the company reserves the right to add advertising to your site at any time in the future without notice
    ok - no free lunch
    Nothing lasts forever...

no, steve, yer right... and no free tickets to Disneyland... the SOBs.

hell, I can give ya better reason NOT to use awardspace... aside from the fact that you cannot post home movies of yer dog Abercrombie swimming after s atick in the pool, they have some peculiar policies. i spent two weeks searching a bug in a JS because the only error response yer ever gonna get is a redirect to their home page. None of their support staff could help me. turns out it was a backwards file name separator, which FF, IE and Opera ignore (so it worked locally), but their executive flagged. This kinda thing will drive ya nuts.

They have some kinda spooky aversion to the use of some words/web portals. I used Google's mapping script.... they kicked it.

BUT... it has considerable capabilities for a free host. and No ads. "they reserve the right..." fine... i reserve the right to go elsewhere if they put ads on my site.

yes, there are some fine inexpensive alternatives. I like powweb. But, that wasn't the question.

geo.

Thanks everyone for your responses! I really appreciate your help and advice.
    ron

I came across this today - not actually checked it out yet for implications but at face value MS are offering a free domain and web service.....

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/of...465131033.aspx

You may need the appropriate MS office product installed
    Link dosnt work in my FFox as is usual for MS updates need IE
    Nothing lasts forever...

Cool Re: Free Domain and Free Domain Name?

You have to be able to afford atleast USD 10 a month? I use these guys and they are pretty good. I have had a few problems with some of the progams I use but the tech support is always there to answer questions, just take a look at what they offer. Servage.net If you do go with them using this link you also get an extra 5 gig for the account, but what are you going to do with so much space right?

I dont think it is the fastest service in the world but I have not had them go down over the past 8 months I have used em, and you get one domain free with the account.

Just a recommendation, because getting something free that you can bearly use will just be a waste of time.

If you want to check the speed of them (servers hosted in Germany I believe) then go to the gallery part of my site and load a few pages. www.graphic-bank.com

Goodluck

Regards

Shane
    Last edited by remi; 22 April 2007 at 10:09 AM. Reason: deleted affiliate id from link

USD 10 a month is a normal rate, you'll find tons of providers with such offers.

Shane, I've edit your post. Please don't post links with your affiliate id in it.

Regards,
    Remi

Thanks for all the advice.
    ron

I agree with all that was said too. Especially the part about "don't get your domain name from your server". I did that and then found out I can't move it if I want to. (Yahoo) I have a small business site there.

If you decided to pay check out as many as you can ,including godaddy.com

gloria