Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Tutorials for Daz anyone???

I have had a play with some of thhe Poser Daz Bryce stuff in the college where I teach Photoshop and Painter but am baffled by it (even though I have had quite a bit of experience with Maya.... Bryce I can more or less figure out but Poser and Daz....

How do you combine the 2? How do you clothe your models - seems like you have to model the clothes in an app like maya or c4d and then import it as a prop.....

Whats the difference between Daz models and Poser Models

I spent quite a bit of time googling this stuff and have come up with very little - anyone know of any good tutorials I can try while I have access to these apps? I don't like buying stuff I have no idea I'm ever gonna be able to figure out so this is a good opportunity. Seems to me too that the version they have of Poser and DAZ is not very good - They Have Poser 7 and it is slower than a cucaracha emborrachada (a drunken cockroach) and Daz crashes on just about every level - I tried to import a Maya model I had saved out as a .obj

Life is too short

Default Re: Tutorials for Daz anyone???

I'm sure Mike Bailey, one of the forum moderators will be along to answer your questions as he does a lot clothing things on the models he displays here.

Basically Daz and Poser are similar in ability, with Daz being the smaller subset of capability. Daz is also free.

There are two types of clothing classifications in Poser, Conforming and Dynamic. Both can originate from the same polygons though.

Dynamic cloth involves setting up collisions to make it flow while the figure moves or some physical simulation such as wind affects the cloth. This can only be done in Poser. Daz has no cloth room like Poser, but I believe you can buy a cloth simulator.

Conforming cloth is just want it sounds like. It's basically a prop that is made in a 3D program that conforms precisely to the model in Daz or Poser.

Basically what you do is conceptualize what clothing you want. You import your model into a 3D application that can model OBJ objects. You use the model as your guide to make the cloths. Once finished you export the clothes into Poser or Daz and it will appear as in picture 3. If you want to give a color, then you will need Poser and its cloth room. Otherwise, you have to make the clothing as a prop and give it color in the 3D application in which you designed it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clothesdsgn.jpg 
Views:	532 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	37337  

James - Thanks for the reply. I had already twigged the dynamic end of things - much along the lines of a 'poor' relative of Syflex cloth for Maya. I would be more interested in the conforming idea as I would rather just prefer to pose a model and clothe them to incorporate into a Photoshop scene for example much along the lines of one of my recent paintings which did actually feature Jesse from the Poser Program. I put a link to that in the gallery thread here already.

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=26960

I imported Jesse as a chromographed Jpeg, all nekkid and bald and basically painted in the hair, the clothing and all that kinda stuff. Just thinking it would have been nice to bring her in with hair and clothes - easier to model her then in photoshop.

What you say is much as I suspected - Would most probably have to export a model from poser as an .obj or .lwo and then importh them into Maya or Lightwave for instance - Model the clothes (handy though as you can colour and texturize them within Maya ans Photoshop) and re-export the clothes - again presumably as .obj's which you would import into Poser as Props...

Real round-trip stuff! [chuckles]

Just wondering if Poser and Daz will import the coluring and texturing along with the .obj

Looking forward to comment from Mike Bailey - hopefully with a few pointers towards some good tutorials.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by timpan_ali; 21 April 2007 at 07:06 AM.

I imported Jesse as a chromographed Jpeg, all nekkid and bald and basically painted in the hair, the clothing and all that kinda stuff. Just thinking it would have been nice to bring her in with hair and clothes - easier to model her then in photoshop.
    Perhaps before you dive into cloths modeling, It may save you valuable time if to look inside Poser's libraries for what you need, there is an assortment of pre-made conforming cloths for Jesse in the props library, also you will find some clothing for the other characters that are included with poser, for hair models look in the hair library.

Its best to load the cloths and hair into the scene while the model is in the default pose, conform each clothing item and parent the hair to the head. Then pose the model as you wish.

In a nutshell, If you wish to model custom clothing, yes, you export the model as an obj that you can load into your modeling software. Scaling the model to a confortable working size may be required as well. After you have finished modeling the clothing item, to conform it you must organize the polygon mesh into named groups that match the animation rig (bone and joint hierarchy) of the figure.

You may apply materials to the item from within Poser or create a uv texture map.

You will need an understanding of Poser's filing system (runtime library) so that you can organize your files into the structure that Poser operates within.

The best tutorial I know of is at http://market.renderosity.com/mod/bc...ID=10626.11052.
    4 parts at a cost of $6.25 each.
    Last edited by Mike Bailey; 21 April 2007 at 11:47 PM.

Mike - Thanks very much for the reply and the link

John