Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What is the big hype about eps

I guess the attraction of EPS is that it's a vector format and thus resolution-independent. However it's also I believe thinly specified and driven by Adobe's de-facto implementation.

Far better for all of us if Xara and other applications would support really good, solid, SVG import/export so we have a standards-based interchange format.

Regards: Colin

Regards: Colin

I can't agree with you guys.

EPS is the way to describe how objects are looking at the page (raster images are still raster and vector stuff is still vector). Yes, it's for printing. But exactly because of that, it can be read by almost any vector or even raster software... Sometimes you need to do some tricks before you can use EPS, but anyway, it's a universal language for describing (all have printers or virtual devices instead of printer) your design.

EPS at first is for full-color printing. But it can handle spot colors too and many other things you have never heard about if you are not in the printing design.

Can SVG deal with spot colors? I don't know, but I think it can't...

I am not good in English, but I hope you can catch my idea. It's a universal language for designers to share or printing.

P.S. 2behzad:
    You can freely use any other file format... But sometimes EPS is the best way, that's all. It depends on what do you want to get finally )))

All above is my IMHO of course )))
    Last edited by alexbozhenov; 25 March 2007 at 09:20 PM.
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

What is and what should never be

Led Zeppelin Had something there.

EPS has become a standard because it is old and because Adobe defined it and because SOME standard was needed and there was no other (aside from AI, which is essentially EPS). There IS a non-proprietary vector standard (SVG) arising from the mist.... but unfortunately, Xara does not (yet) support it, though they have commited to do so, I understand.