Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Image viewer

Default Image viewer

I have my own site but would like to add an image viewer on my site..i have a couple of questions on how to do this.......what directory do i add my pictures too? i know they have to be put in the public section but would that be in images or where my pages are? and secondly when putting the images into the viewer script are the urls taken from where they are stored on my own computor or taken from the server where the images will be uploaded too..so sorry but normally i dont have much of a problem doing scripts but this one and also the forum one im really having problems with.

Art

Default Re: Image viewer

Hi there,

It's depending on what kind of viewer you would use;
    if a php based site(joomla,Mambo)they usual are prearranged inside the setup

if it's html or flash with xml,probably you can change the directory inside the xml file.

if html or flash you can use relative or absolute urls

-relative = resides in a folder or folderpath(on server) with the html/flash file
    ex:folder1/folder2/pic1.jpg
    -absolute = is on the server but path is declared from start to end
    ex:http://www.yourdomain.com/folder1/folder2/pic1.jpg
    Last is better caus if you rearrange things, path must be changed too
    besides when testing locally on your computer it will also show up.

Hope this helps you in a way.

Gr,Hans

Thanks for your suggestions Hans will certainly give this a go later today unless anyone else comes up with something as it does sound a little complicated but then dont anything till you try it

If it is for personal use(free),try this flash/xml slideshow/gallery
    http://www.slooz.com/trinkets.php?proj=expose

Gr,Hans

Thanks for your help so far..ok ive made the viewer work on my internet exploer..it was made in dream8/firworks8..everything works fine untill i upload it to the server then all i see are red x's im really not sure what to upload and where to put what in my public folders....in my site image folder on my computor i have 4 folders that are named:Images,thumbnails, pages and index htm all these were made in fireworks at the time of fireworks altering my full size images to thumbnails can you suggest where im going wrong? ive uploaded the images into my images folder on the server and the page into my public folder on the server,any help or suggestions you can come up with would be greatly appreciated as this is driving me crazy trying to get it all to work.

Hmmm it shouldn’t matter what folder you’ve saved your pictures in on the server as long as the path is correct.

I would suggest you open your pages in Dreamweaver (the ones that are on your server) and check the paths to the pictures are correct, you can do this by clicking on the picture and checking the path in the properties inspector at the bottom of dreamweaver, or to be on the safe side use the target icon in the properties inspector and drag it over to the relevant picture file (see attached picture)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	36307  

Thank you so much for your help ive now sorted that problems out im over the moon that it all works now and was such an easy fix...now for another question if you dont mind helping an ageing thickie...ive done a flash video and put it on my website page...i uploaded it to the server using dreamweavers connection,it also asked me if i wanted to upload other files to do with it which dreamweaver says i should..which i done...alls good so far........after doing the upload i clicked on the page on the server admin and no video just a white box where it should be??? i was wondering if you have any other advice you could possibly give to me to get the video working... my whole site is a graphics/art site and the videos are a central core to this so it is quite important.

Please forget my question about the video!! its all up and running after i found out what i was doing wrong after i found a very good video tut on the web..many thanks to you all that have come up with suggestions and help..my sites looking really good atm just a few other things to do but those can wait a little while the veiwer and the video was the important things to get right.

Smile Re: Image viewer

Art - just in case I've used Imageviewer extensively - finally found some very stealth viewers in Flash helps. Yell if you need any. Imageviewer is a good try in Dreamweaver - but not so good with pic captions.

http://www.allsaintsmelfort.ca

Main page done with flash - loads pretty fast.
    Glad you worked things out.

Bill Wood

Thanks for that Bill..what ive done is used the things in dreamweaver the problem was i was trying to add it the wrong way!! once i had sorted that out it went in first time,One of the things i do like about using dream to do this is it makes all your thumbnails for you and when i use dream to upload to my server it uploads everything and puts them where they should be put which was sometimes a problem when i was manually uploading things to the server.Your quite welcome to take a look at my site to see how im using the image veiwer. click on the showcase page and you will see a link to the image veiwer there. www.graphicmania.co.uk