Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: Graphics tablet: an indispensable tool?

Voters
231. This poll is closed
  • Yes, I couldn't live without one

158 68.40%
  • No, I use the trusty mouse

73 31.60%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Graphics tablet: an indispensable tool?

I use a Wacom Intuos 3 6x8. I could have bought a cheaper brand for general navigation, but I bought it mainly for figure and portrait drawing/painting and anything other than a Wacom was out of the question for me for this purpose. The 4x6 was too small for my techniques, the 6x8 fits me perfectly.
    IP

Half my line-work is done on paper with pen and ink, but when I need to use a tablet I agree that 8x6 inches is a good size - mine is a wacom graphire - I find anything smaller is too constraining on the arm movement although maybe thats just the pen&ink traditionalist in me . As for drawing with a mouse, if its a wireless mouse and responsive and you've the desk space, you can get some fine background effects on sky and the like, but draw lineart with it...? prefer not.
    IP

Unregistered Guest

Mice have always been my choice in graphic art. With wireless mice, you can set them in their own little recharger when finished. I suppose if you like a lot of arm motion if you learned to draw that way it is appropriate to use a tablet.

Personally, a mouse is second nature to me now and drawing with a tablet on a screen would seem alien.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Mice have always been my choice in graphic art. With wireless mice, you can set them in their own little recharger when finished. I suppose if you like a lot of arm motion if you learned to draw that way it is appropriate to use a tablet.
    You're incorrect. Tablet users don't buy a tablet just to have "a lot of arm motion" like you call it, they buy a tablet because in most cases they want more control.
    Not only does a tablet allow you to draw more accurately, it also allows you several levels of pen pressure and in the case of the Intuos it also allows you to make use of tilt.
    I can understand that none of this might not be important to you (everybody is different), however for traditional artists who switch to digital art things like increased accuracy, tilt and pressure sensitivity really do make a huge difference.

The other thing that shouldn’t be ignored is the fact that using a mouse for art increases the risk of developing RSI, a risk that’s much lower when you use a tablet instead. Now this might not important to a lot of people, but I know a lot of graphic designers who do this work 40-60 hours a week developed RSI (or the symptoms) over time.

Personally, a mouse is second nature to me now and drawing with a tablet on a screen would seem alien
    You say “seem”, which tells me that you never really tried. For everyone using a mouse on a regular basis becomes second nature, you’re no exception. As for the tablet feeling alien; people feel the same when they use a mouse for the very first time in their life. For me personally the tablet feels less alien over time than the mouse and I don’t even use it every week.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFlare View Post
    The other thing that shouldn’t be ignored is the fact that using a mouse for art increases the risk of developing RSI, a risk that’s much lower when you use a tablet instead.
    RSI = Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

The tablet discussion has come up a few times. As I mentioned before in the forum, I got one because I was in pain... Even clicking a mouse button hurt (not kidding). Real-life work by the computer for hours on end, and then firing up Xara X when I got home, to relax - it was really bad for a while.

The tablet saved my hand, I have no doubt. You also don't need to "draw" with a tablet if you don't want to - simply use it the same way, as you would use a mouse.

Don't have pain issues any more (very happy about that)... But I still use them 50/50 time-wise. But a tablet always 100% of the time when creating something that looks better without "perfect..." lines.

For super quick drawing as per my: http://www.ristoklint.com/picture-ga...gallery-1D.htm it's so much fun, and quick with a tablet. Granted, it's not "great art" but it would be time consuming with a mouse (considering the simple end result).

I'm sure this can be done with a mouse, but with a tablet, it took mere minutes:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	139-george-bush-and-osama-bin-laden.gif 
Views:	954 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	34887  
    Last edited by RTK; 10 February 2007 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Clarified / A few obvious spelling mistakes
    IP

Unregistered Guest

wow next time I will pay attention this is not an opinion poll. Didn't know I was going to get chastise for what little I said.
    IP

There are times all of us just open our mouths to change feet. It is well-worth knowing that there are other means of doing artwork than a mouse. It may not bother you for while, but if you hand start hurting, it is much easier to learn to use a tablet than to undergo surgery then have to get one anyway.

I use both, it depends upon the task, I find setting the color change points on a gradient fill easier with a mouse, and right clicking and dragging I can copy with a mouse but with a tablet, right click clone, then drag, not much difference when you are use to it.

All of us do in time get older. Mouse today, use a tablet when you need to. Just do it soon enough for your health.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Risto Klint View Post
    RSI = Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
    No, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is just one of the many kinds of Repetitive Strain Injuries (RSI).
    IP

wow next time I will pay attention this is not an opinion poll. Didn't know I was going to get chastise for what little I said.
    No one at TG has ever been chastised for what they draw, or what they use to make their imagery... Whatever makes you happy... This poll is not to determine the "right or wrong" of anything. It's simply a question asked to get a snapshot of how people work. And for us to share and discuss things.

Me personally, I pitched in because I thought that "BlueFlare" mentioned something (RSI) that I could relate to. And my reply was put out to perhaps help someone to find an option for the same, or something similar as what I have gone through.

Having pain from clicking a mouse button might sound completely stupid, I'm sure... I do hope that you never get there, but rest assured, it wasn't silly or stupid at the time - it was excruciating! And no, I'm not a whiner - I have torn my knee apart and broken bones... Clicking a mouse can, as silly as it may sound, hurt like crazy.

Risto
    IP

I have a Wacom Intuous 3 and a wireless logitech mouse and I use both. It's a matter of preference for myself and what I feel like using at the time. For others like Risto it's a necessity to have an alternative to a mouse. I have several friends in the same situation as Risto. One friend in particular can't even pick up her daughter because the pain is so intense!

When I'm doing layout or web work, I'm using my mouse and keyboard, when I'm illustrating or photo retouching, I like to use my tablet.

I do believe though that the TG user which shall now be called Unregistered was chastised, but not for what they draw. I think BlueFlare response was a chastisement, to put it nicely, for what the person now called Unregistered expressed . . . an opinion. That's the way I see it.

I say use what works for you, but that's just my opinion.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?
    IP