Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Making text fill a shape

I would like to make a shape (like a triangle or irregular hand-drawn shape) and put text in it that fills the shape. Is there a way to do this using PSP version 7.04? If so, can someone give me instructions or a tutorial?

Thanks! :-)

Toni
    IP

Default Further explanation of my hopes

http://www.tomshw.it/guides/firstloo...es/wm_logo.jpg is an example of kind of what I mean. Instead of the words filling the shape, I should have said that the letters would take on the shape of the object.

Toni
    IP

Default Re: Making text fill a shape

You can distort your text in PSP, however you may need to break up the lettering to fit the shape. The program that does this text distortion to fit a custom shape is CorelDRAW.

For the amount of time it would take to do this, if you are doing it for web, but for print, I would not use PSP, I'd use a vector program. PSP does some vectors but its output is bitmap.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

I decided to show how I extract letters out of shape first. Then I will show how I make letters that conform to a shape in the next tutorial. There are other methods, including using masking, but won't get into that here.

load image into PS Pro
    1. Promote Background Image
    2. Use Magic Wand to Select Areas.
    a. first area black (type Control X to delete)
    3. Hold Ctrl D to select none.
    4. Agains Use magic Wand
    Delete areas not wanted with magic wand.
    (i.e., areas in "O" "R" "A" "M"
    5.Click white area with magic wand, Ctrl X to
    delete the white area
    6. Ctrl D to select none
    7. Use Freehand selection to select letters
    Ctrl C to copy/Ctrl V to make new image
    8. Make a new Raster, Arrange layer, move down
    9. Choose a nice dark blue foreground color.
    10. Use fill bucket, done.
    Can use soften brush if you see any edges that
    seem jaggy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	step 1-6.jpg 
Views:	728 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	34416   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	step 7-10.jpg 
Views:	630 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	34417  

Last edited by jamesmc; 23 January 2007 at 03:21 AM.
    IP

Okay, here's how I make text conform to a shape.
    I have Paint Shop Pro 9, so my apologies if earlier versions don't have some of the features, I don't remember what version 7 or 8 had.

jpg file attached of dino graphic, if you like really bad art.

The object of this tutorial is to make Text conform to a Shape.

Okay my scenario, yeah its dumb.
    I want to make an animated cartoon and I need a splash screen of a cartoon dinosaur with the letters "C A R T O O N" conforming to the shape of the dinosaur. It will be animated of course and come flying in. But that's another tutorial!

First You need your basic dinosaur shape. If you draw in layers, this will be easy. Just a black and white image will do for now.

Second: Once you decide on the text you want, add another layer.
    Third: Click on the text button, (Use Vector Text not Floating or Selection) and add your first letter. In the example #2 I used the Letter "A".
    Fourth: Take your time using the Ctrl Shift on the handles of the Vector Text box, drag the letters until they conform to the shape you have drawn. (tastes may vary.
    Fifth: After you are finished, you can hide the Dino Layer and end up with just the text as shown in #4.
    Six: To paste them on your finished dino graphic, open it into Paint Shop Pro.
    Seventh: Copy the text in Step 4/ Ctrl C
    Eight: Paste as New Layer onto your finished Dino graphic (or whatever graphic you have.)
    Ninth: If you want a contrasting layer with a different color to get a pseudo 3D effect, you can paste as Selection and get a floadting Text. Then you can use the paint bucket tool to fill the letters as they are floating and can be filled. I used yellow.

That's it. If you have any questions, let me know. More pics in next thread post

Name:	dino1a.jpg 
Views:	691 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	34425   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dinoprep.jpg 
Views:	579 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	34427  

Last edited by jamesmc; 23 January 2007 at 09:51 AM. Reason: added jpeg file of dinoprep
    IP

The finishing up graphics for the text to shape tutorial.

Name:	dino2a.jpg 
Views:	536 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	34426  
    IP

Great little tutorials, James.

Working in print as I do all the time, I see people design things for print in programs they cannot have professional printing done in.

If designing for print and they insist they must use PaintShopPro, I'd recommend they do the file at no less than 600 dpi, as that will render sharper edges when reduced, the items will need to be retraced. And assigned whatever color is desired.

Nowadays, Corel often takes upgrades from PaintShopPro. Since it actually takes less time to do the above and then can be used in whatever media one desires, from embroidery to sublimation to silk screening to web to any and all kinds of printing, if you are expending the time to do it, why do it over?
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Thanks for the kind words Sally.

I agree with you though on using programs that have the capability of making reproduceable art and in compliance with printer standards (if that's your business.) Vector graphics is darn hard to beat in the regard of reproduceability.

I've seen some pro maskers in my time, but most of those guys like ketchup on their eggs too.
    IP

You can make text conform to a shape by doing "convert to curves" . As single characters.

You are now able to to use the object selector tool to stretch or compress the shape of each letter in turn to fit the shape. don't forget that holding down the ctrl key gives parallax correction and shift skew holding both together gives freeform.

Its not as easy as envelope text where the text automatically conforms to the shape but Unless you want to buy Draw or Photoshop then its the way to do it
    IP

Thanks everyone! I'm going to try experimenting with some of your ideas. Hopefully, I know enough to get it done! :-)

Toni

PS Still welcome more ideas if any others are out there.
    IP