Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Simple colouring technique

Yeah, another clip.

The only thing is that this colouring is done with a drawing tablet and I know not everyone has one - but your birthday's coming up soon isn't it?

You could always do like me and, "borrow" one from your brother and hopes he forgets one day that it was ever his :P

Recording movement of the mouse is a bit choppy at times for some reason, but still good.

-Bob.
    •Bob

Default Re: Simple colouring technique

Another great tutorial.

Thanks so much for sharing these techniques.

They're like keys that open doors to endless possibilities.

When I first started in Xara a couple of months ago, I felt overwhelmed by the whole package. I had never worked in graphic design before and didn't know where to start. Over the last couple of months I have learned tons from everyone on the forum. I love how everyone has a different technique or angle on how to use the tools in Xara.

Thanks for the lessons in art. I guess Art School isn't always held in a classroom. I could never afford the tuition anyway. This forum has the best professors a student could ever ask for.

Thanks,

Jen

Another great one, Bob. Thanks!

yep great tut`s, I have to watch them several times
    before all of it will sink in. Thanks for it, they will surely help.

Unfortunately my tablet doesn`t seem to react like yours does.
    Which one are you using?
    be aware, not to become a ware.

another good video bob..can I ask you what drawing pad you are using I am thinking of buying one, regards tao

Great video. I liked the effect as if you'd colored it with a marker

How many buttons do these graphic tablet's pens usually have? Can you assign the ESC key to a key on your pen so it'll save you using the keyboard? Seems easier to work that way.

The tablet I have is a Wacom - Graphire, with a 4x5 drawing area. The tablet itself is larger, just the functioning drawing area is framed off. It also came with a mouse, but mine is sitting in a drawer - don't use that.

It's an older model but they still have Graphire tablets, just redesigned. This is their smallest tablet. They do have bigger and more expensive tablets, some which also have programmable keys on the tablet. Don't know if bigger is better as it's really just the fact of holding a pen over a mouse and I have no problems with the smaller tablet.

The pen does have buttons that you can program, mine has 2. I don't use them that often - for me they still function as a left and right click buttons. Depending on how deep your desk is, I find using the Esc key on the keyboard very easy. As I have my tablet in front of me and my keyboard behind my tablet - then the monitor. My desk surface is 34" deep, so this layout works for me.

-Bob.
    •Bob

Great videos, Bob! I also have an older Wacom Graphire tablet of that size. I pulled it out of the drawer and plugged it in, but my sketch didn't look anything at all like yours. I guess I probably also need to find some artistic talent somewhere.

To get back on topic, my favorite video so far is the one showing you sketching the duck, without any commentary. Not that you don't explain well or have a good voice for this (the comparison to Bob Ross the Joy of Painting guy was spot on!), but it was nice to just watch an artist at work, as it were. Even when you're not explaining what you're doing or why you're doing it, there's still lots to learn from just watching you work.

Hope to see more of these from you in the future!
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

Smile Re: Simple colouring technique

Great videos! Cool looking characters too!

Quote Originally Posted by Odat View Post
    ... To get back on topic, my favorite video so far is the one showing you sketching the duck, without any commentary.
    Thanks, Odat. I have a question - as a viewer, watching the sketch of the duck, is it too long to watch it in real time? A 10 minute sketch, does it get boring to watch after the first 3 minutes?

I have added the same clip but with the playback speed increased, reducing the time it takes to watch. If I add other sketches, is there a preference - real time or high speed?

I suppose it depends on the reason for watching. Wanting to see how it is drawn, or just to see what is drawn.

-Bob.
    •Bob