Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Celtic Cross for Critique

yes, GMan... i understand and usually WILL put forth the effort to maintain the over/unders. In particular, I take the time to use gradient fills to enhance the effect (see the dragons, elsewhere). In this however, it looked to become more an irritation than an enhancement, so i left them out.

Thanks,
    geo.

Geo...

Have you ever considered doing a tutorial on how you draw these Celtic knots? Yours are, without doubt, some of the most amazing ones I have ever seen, and I would really, really love to know how you do it.

As far as being too "busy," I think this is what makes the images look authentic. If we want to think "busy," let's just take another look at the Book of Kells!
    ---
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by WolfMoonHP View Post
    Geo...

As far as being too "busy," I think this is what makes the images look authentic. If we want to think "busy," let's just take another look at the Book of Kells!
    ---
    Will
    forsooth.... you might be surprised at how many people have disagreed about the mastery and beauty of Kells (and Lindisfarne and Durrow, etc) and for how long.

as to a tute, a vector drawing program eliminates most of the hard parts (precision, lining things up and so on). the only difficult part in making the knots is overall composition and (when making originals) ensuring that all the crossovers are even and complementary (or you will get over/over rather than over/under). To anyone interested I would recommend Geo. Bain's 'Celtic Art: The Methods Of Construction". Mr Bain actually deconstructed the ancient scribes methods and presents them in a very understandable way.

But I will put together a lil demo of the methods used here (it is all pretty simple, really) and post it if you would like.

geo.
    “Beauty consists in a certain luster and proportion” - Aquinas

Quote Originally Posted by GeoBen View Post
    To anyone interested I would recommend Geo. Bain's 'Celtic Art: The Methods Of Construction". Mr Bain actually deconstructed the ancient scribes methods and presents them in a very understandable way.

But I will put together a lil demo of the methods used here (it is all pretty simple, really) and post it if you would like.

geo.
    OK, Geo...I went to Amazon.com and ordered Bain's book.

But I'd REALLY like a demo of your methods. I genuinely think yours are some of the most beautiful I've seen, so there is nothing like learning from a master!
    ---
    Will

OOPS! I should have mentioned that I do not employ most of his methods which are designed to do all the difficult lil things that Xara does for you, BUT.... understanding how things are done is very helpful. You CAN adapt his methods to vector drawing.

If you would like the titles of more books on the matter, lemme know. Many may be helpful only for building an example library, but i am hooked on buying them.

re: tutes, I had intended to write a series of articles for my website (should it ever magically appear) on the matter, so I may as well begin.

I suspect that this gallery would not be the best place for it (or them.... may take more than one). Any suggestions?
    “Beauty consists in a certain luster and proportion” - Aquinas

Wherever you decide to post your tutorials, I REALLY want to check them out.
    ---
    Will

PS -- I really love my Celtic Dragon T-shirt!

Wow! Your really good at celtic art! I can't even do it on paper never mind the computer ! It's looking excellent! Can't think of one thing to critasize (<is that spelt right?)!!! Keep up the good work! Sara-Louise
    ArtIsNotMyLife,,MyLifeIsArt