Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idiots Guide

Default Idiots Guide

Hello sorry i am new to this and hope somebody can help me. i want to vector a image that at present is a image in a word document. i have got corel draw 9 and struggling in doing this, is there a easy solution on how to do this, please please can somebody help
    Many Thanks
    Phil
    IP

Default Re: Idiots Guide

Alot depends on the image, if it is a Word image, it is most likely a .wmf which is a vector format. As I am more familiar with version 12 and X3, it is a copy and paste into DRAW. It could also be a company LOGO in which case it may be a .jpeg and it will be in any case RGB.

There is a bitmap tracer that comes with 9 however it is not nearly as sophisticated in tracing graphics as the new one with X3. If you have to trace it, I'd do the trial download from CorelDRAW and you can make quick work of it.

Other than that, if you can post the image to the web, I can give you better advise on how to do the vectorization if you need to draw it yourself.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

thanks for the reply i have tried to attach it
    cheers
    philFire Action.doc
    IP

Here is the trace from CorelTRACE from X3 which does actually a qute good job, the text I reset. You did not mention if it is RGB, CMYK or Spot Color you are working with. I made it RGB though it is easy enough to change. I did have to do a bit of tweaking on a few of the edges, took a half an hour to do the whole thing.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sally M. Bode
    IP

many thanks for the time you have spent on this, but when i open the zip folder then put the image into corel draw i get nothing why is this. also i would like to thank you again, but please can you tell me how you did it in idiot form as i have loads of these to do.
    Many Thanks
    Phil
    IP

Smile Re: Idiots Guide

Quote Originally Posted by phildux View Post
    many thanks for the time you have spent on this, but when i open the zip folder then put the image into corel draw i get nothing why is this. also i would like to thank you again, but please can you tell me how you did it in idiot form as i have loads of these to do.
    Many Thanks
    Phil
    Phil, you cant open it because you only have CD9 and Sally may have saved it in X3. Perhaps she will re post it as a CD9 file for you.

In my experience, it is a lot easier to just re-draw all the graphics and re-set all the text. Usually I import the JPEG image into CorelDraw and draw the new graphics/text over the top of it. That way all the box sizes and spacing is accurate to the JPEG file.

This is only my advise as a CorelDraw operative, not an expert like the "God" that is Sally!!!
    -----------
    Andy
    IP

Here is the file in version 9.0.

It's worth upgrading for the tracing ability alone.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Bubbidge, God? and here's me thinking Sally is/was a Godess
    Last edited by parahandy; 10 January 2007 at 02:57 PM.
    IP

great stuff Sally, that is just what i wanted, but could i have a guide on how to do this process, as I have a lot of these to do, and would really like to have a go myself but be warned I am a novice so please be gentle
    Many Thanks
    Phil
    IP

It isn't godlike powers, it is just simple knowledge, logic and acquire skill from using DRAW constantly.

For those who do not have 9.0 or X3, here's a .pdf and I made a flash file out of it, yes from DRAW, it can do that too. X3 no longer ships with R.A.V.E. which could be used to output to flash for animation, but it wasn't all that great -- lots of bugs. Xara's done a much better job with output to Flash for animation.

In DRAW 12.0 and X3, it works to import and/or to open a .pdf however there are so many programs that make .pdf that X3 opens what 12.0 when it tries to open says is corrupt. And sometimes vice versa.

I didn't change the CorelDRAW 9.0 file text to curves as I used Arial and it is a font that nearly everyone has installed in their system as it is probably the most common web font.

When you cannot find that you can open or import a .pdf, the Oberon Script often will work.

I saw I had left a hairline black outline on the blue circle up top, removed it for the flash file, converted everything to curves.

Last edited by sallybode; 10 January 2007 at 03:28 PM.

Sally M. Bode
    IP