Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Slicing Question

I have noticed that behavior before, Slicing in Xara results in inaccurate shapes. I do not believe, that an outline is responsible for that. Like Odat I think that math rounding issues are the reason.

I know I have experienced the problem in the past, but today I cannot recreate it using Xara Xtreme 2.0f CD.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slice.gif 
Views:	211 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	31791  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

There was a very hot topic regarding this about a year ago but I can't find it. However I think it was agreed Xtreme does give a "dirty" slice in places. It will create additional nodes on a curve which are straight lines.

Personally I've never found it a great problem but it's as well to be aware of it.

Here's a highly zoomed Screen grab of 2 original shapes and the resultant shape after a Slice/Intersect etc operation. You can clearly see the different paths.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 08 November 2006 at 11:43 PM.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Same version as my own. Thanks for trying. Here is the pre-sliced .xar if you want to try - it would be great if it was just my PC :-).

The file still has the dark blue as a line, you'll need to convert it to a shape, I think this may be where the bug has crept in.

Egg - thanks for the feedback.

Turan
    Attached Files Attached Files

Turan it is not your computer. I've tried slicing without converting the blue line to a shape and converting to shape. I get the same results that you show in your first post in this thread.

I'll continue with some more tests to see if there is any way to have a clean slice.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Turan,
    you might select each object and then look at the nodes with the shape editor. I just gave your file a quick glance and it seemed that the "A" shape and the bottom blue transparent object seem to have more nodes than necessary to make the shape. From my experience if you are slicing a complex shape and the shapes have a lot of extraneous nodes you get weird slicing effects. Shapes that are imported or copied and pasted into Xara from other programs always seem to have extraneous nodes. Don't know if it will work in your case but thought it was worth mentioning.
    best wishes and adios

Soquili,

I redrew the dark blue shape as an object and this seems to have solved the the problem. However problem seems to come back when I was slicing with the A shape.

Similar to the line converted to a share the A is a Font A converted to a shape!

Both of these, as Sunland pointed out, have more nodes than I think they need to :-(. Sadly they were not imported from another tool just converted from within Xara, from one form (Line or Font) to another.

So hopefully if I trace the A as an object from the start all should be well - apart from the fact that I don't think I should have to do that :-(.

Turan

My memory of that old post tells me that it may be because of the path/cusp settings - one shape has straight lines and point cusps and the other has curves and rounded cusps - this can cause oddities.

Is someone else's brain less decrepit than mine?!
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

see also this thread

Ah, cheers Remi that was the thread I was after. The link to the full thread is
    HERE (Your link only leads to a single image Remi)
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host