Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi folks,

I have artwork wich contains different transparency mode (eg. mix, bleach etc). I don't use "advanced" transparencies with bitmap mask etc.

So, wehn I'm trying to create bitmap from my artwork or export as TIFF, I get the Transparency Warning window in Xara that says:
    "The selection uses a transparency type that cannot be held in a standard bitmap. If you Contunue the bitmap may not look exactly like the selected objects".

My question is what type of transparency is not supported well when exporting? How it suppose to change the colors in the bitmap? How can I avoid it? http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif))

In fact there are not just a one question here ))

ohhh... actually i found an answer at least to one of questions... all types of transparency except MIX are producing this warning...

then, if there any easy way to find in complex drawing with a lot objects those objects with "wrong" type? ))
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

Alexander

Can you describe the objects you are using?

I just took a bitmap image, made 2 copies and applied a Linear Bleach transparency to 1 and a Linear Brightness to the other. I exported the image as a RGB TIFF at 300dpi and a CMYK TIFF at 300 dpi and did not get a warning message.

Gary

You get the warning message because it's impossible to represent any transparency type other than Mix in TIFF or PNGs or indeed any bitmaps format (other than native PSD or PDF possibly).

So for example, a really simply case; Create a shape that is 50% transparent with stain transparency. You are familiar with how that behaves when dragged over other objects - like stain glass. If you export that as a PNG with the same 50% transparency there is no way to simulate the same transparency effects as you get in Xara X because, although PNG and TIFFs support transparency, they only support Mix transparency types.

So it's a case where Xara X is simply more capable than industry standard bitmap formats, and we have to convert down to using Mix. Hence the warning - and the unavoidable fact that some images may look different as a result.

In fact perhaps Mix transparency could be called translucency while stained glass is a true transparency.

kindly,
    ivan

Thanks Charles and Gary,

I had to catch it on my own )))

Gary, it is not necessary to experiment with bitmaps, as Charles said, you may just create any shape, give any transparency other that Mix type, and try to export it or make bitmap copy within Xara - you will get with warning.

Anyway, it would be just great to have advanced search/replace engine in Xara similar to Corel )))

Thanks again!
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

Alex,

I am wondering if improving the Name Gallery would serve the same purpose?

Yes, John, whatever may help us easier detect objects with similar params http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif)

Name gallery have just couple minor abilities - fonts and named colors. I need more! ))
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

Default Re: Transparency Warning window - Is Xara marketing strategy right?

Maybe Xara is one of the leading graphic software on a market. But is Xara presented and explained well and what are reasons of unpopularity Xara for general public?

Let’s see an example. One of the advantages of Xara is a simplicity of reproducing a translucency in different objects. OK. It looked good in advertisements. I bought 3 CD package. Now I’d like to make my own translucent bottoms as advertised. Xara extreme Help returns nothing on “translucent” or others. On purchased CD there is the same advertisement clip as it is for free on a Net: GelLook_web.wmv The purpose of that clip is to advertise possibilities of Xara – NOT to explain them. why it is on CD ? A voice says, “If you want to see step by step instructions simply open clip gallery and get THIS FILE and other design examples”. What is “THIS FILE NAME” of the “step by step tutorial” how to create “this dutiful translucent plastic bottoms created by British designer Jonathan Ive back few years ago”, what folder in clipart gallery do I look and is it on purchased CD or should be downloaded? I spent an hour going trough galleries from CD and downloaded. There are ether advance art works or useless 15 years old two-dimensional icons. What is the catch?
    Yes, if I spent half of the life on graphic design and hours browsing through discussion that would be easy to get around Xara tricks. But is that what a people happy to pay money for?

Cheers
    Dimitri

Default Re: Transparency Warning window

Hello Dimitri,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

The Gel button tutorial you are asking about is in the Clipart Gallery > Example Xara X drawings 1 [CD]. Look for Gel buttons.

Another excellent source of tutorials is http://www.xaraxone.com. Gary Priester has 10 years of monthly tutorials, and workbooks. You will also find Tips and Tricks and Featured Artist Galleries.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update