Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I was just wondering if anyone knows how to get Adobe Photoshop (7 in particular), to do an automatic incremental save (I.E: First save is file000.psd, second save is file001.psd, etc)

A friend of mine said that there's a way you can do it using actions, but that he can't remember how, and the tutorial for it has disappeared.

Has anyone here done this before/knows how to do this?

Thanks,
    Lothaekor
    IP

I was just wondering if anyone knows how to get Adobe Photoshop (7 in particular), to do an automatic incremental save (I.E: First save is file000.psd, second save is file001.psd, etc)

A friend of mine said that there's a way you can do it using actions, but that he can't remember how, and the tutorial for it has disappeared.

Has anyone here done this before/knows how to do this?

Thanks,
    Lothaekor
    IP

I have some solutions, but my first question is why you would like to number your files?
    IP

The main reason for incremental saves is so I have a point to re-start from should I make a mistake that I can't just undo.

You're working along in your latest project, keeping a normal save pattern, and all of a sudden you discover that something you did about an hour ago just doesn't look right anymore. But you've been saving over top of your original file. So, you have to start over.

Whereas with an incremental save, every time the file is saved, the filename increments by one digit, allowing you to trace back to the point where you made that mistake, and begin anew from that point.

I've met quite a few people who use incremental saves to save them from a lot of hassle later on in the project. I was just wondering if it was possible to automate it so that you could easily hit a button, and it increments the filename with the latest version. Once the project is complete, you just delete the other files if they're no longer needed.

--Lothaekor
    IP

I've seen a link to a guy's site that explains how to do incremental batch file renaming, using the FILE Browser in PS7.

But i've not seen anything about incremental saving anywhere i can remember.

Have you asked this question over at Adobe's U2U Forum? Their tech guys would have the answer for sure.
    IP

I use the program Securdat for this purpose; http://www.pa-soft.com/frameenglish.htm

Version 1.2 is freeware and can be found on the internet with some effort.

I use it to archive the different versions of Photoshop files (even Photoshop's preference file) but also many other applications files.

This program is more functional than any Photoshop action made for this purpose.
    IP