Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Last Save Destination/Path

Quote Originally Posted by jclements View Post
    I guess I don't understand the issue of this topic.
    Once I do a Save As, Open, or Export (even if they point to different folders), then each location is remembered. If I close Xtreme, and do a File > Open the last place it looked in the previous session is remembered. If I open a .xar (and Xtreme) by double-clicking on a filename from Windows Explorer, then that folder location is remembered.

Hi JClements

I guess the point here is flexibility.

Xara AFAIK, just behaves the same as any other windows applications.

If you open a file from a particular folder, export to a different folder(s), then want to export to a different folder, then open up another file from a different folder and so on, you are constantly having to manually navigate your hard drive to move to these different locations. When you have many projects and many sub-environments for web developement, this means you spend a lot of time, just moving around.

Utilities like Dialog Box Assistant simply aid by allowing very quick access to previously used folders ( and files ).

HTH - Dave Porter

Point taken. Try the same scenario with network drives. Spend 5% of your time navigating directories.

Quote Originally Posted by dporter View Post
    Hi Frank,

But these just store the last path for Xara to default for the next time.

Changing them manually is pointless as they will just change the next time you change to a different folder and close Xara.
    Not if you save that registry key on your desktop and run it before you run Xara. In fact you can have a number of these registry keys on your desktop with different Open/Save paths, especially useful if you have a number of projects on the go at the same time with different path requirements.

I save my Xara registry key periodically and back it up externally so that if I have a crash I can restore Xtreme from the CD and my workspace from the reg file at a moment's notice.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

What Tom's asking for is something I need in various workflows. All my apps used to work that way. I don't know whether the fact that they don't any more is due to...
    a) changes in Windows standards,
    b) the dumbing down of even "professional" software,
    c) lazy programming,
    d) some of the above, or
    e) all of the above.

The newer the app, the less likely it is to remember the destination folder. A number of the "improvements" in Windows navigation just slow me down and cost extra effort in time, mousing and keystrokes. It's not only annoying, it adds to RSI.