Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Texture for a Rug

One of my recent CorelDraw projects (a deliberately cartoonish/anime-style drawing) included an "oriental" rug, but the rug came out looking more like a stone or tile floor. Which wouldn't be a bad effect, if that's what I had wanted, but...

I've tried to "texturize" the rug by putting various transparent bitmap textures over it, and the best I can do is something that *almost* looks right to me.

Can anyone here give me advice on drawing a rug to *look* like a rug (and carpet to look like carpet, and fabric in general to look like fabric), especially when the rug is drawn in perspective?
    IP

Default Re: Texture for a Rug

I think it would be best to finish in PhotoPaint, as there are filters in there that might work to aid in the effect. When I find an effect I like, I often have many layers of experimentation, I merge all, use the effect, copy to the clipboard and then undo the merge, then paste the experimentation from the clipboard. I will often like, as you say, something in perspective will change as the lighting and focus changes. Several effect blended in PP by using a gradient mask to fade one into another may be able to get you closer to what you are looking for.

If you have a carpet reference picture of what you are going for, it also helps to simulate it.

If you have a texture photograph of a rug/carpet you can emboss this into the graphic, create a layer as desribed above then bring back the color. Great way to gain an effect without destroying your work.

Let me know if any of this helps.

BTW, some people are not PhotoPaint users but prefer Photoshop. What I described can by in large done also in Photoshop or any other pixel editor.

If you are still having problems, you might post the file you are having difficulty with. If you are concerned with security of your work, you can always send me a PM (private message) accessible by clicking on the name under my avatar and I will give you my email address.

You cannot post a .cdr file, but you can zip the file and then post it.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Default Re: Texture for a Rug

A couple of seamless tiles to try. Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07 Ltile.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	29975   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dots2.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	29976  

IP