Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: I'm just bein' sociable

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DM.png 
Views:	137 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	29055  
    IP

hahahahahahaha

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

that's okay, i've been put in my place (for WHAT i don't really know)
    IP

"Personal is personal" - there is no personal here... It's a forum... Yes, over time we get a connection with people, but really it's not the same as having a family friend show up at your door, volunteering to watch your kids (when you plan to spoil your wife for your 10-year wedding anniversary (yesterday.... thank you very much! )

This particular PM about general forum "courtesy" was a pointer to show that something is "off course" and should be looked at... Really... There is nothing sinister going on here - people that moderate do their darndest to keep Talkgraphics for everyone. You have to keep in mind that just because members don't post their displeasure on the board, it doesn't mean that they aren't telling moderators and administrators what they aren't happy with using PMs and emails...

Me personally - I'm 38 years old - 3 kids - 1 wife - 1 messed up heart that caused 1 stroke 5 months ago. I work by the computer on average 10 hours a day... So when asked to moderate - I happily volunteered as I sit by the computer anyway... Zipping over here once in a while is not a bother. I agreed because I really love this place and I think that the people that unselfishly help people are amazing individuals. On a a personal note - if it wasn't for Gary's, Ross' and Egg's kind pointers (initially... many people have been kind to me over the years) many years ago, I would still be making a mess with ink, brushes and over-priced paper. (Ok, I still make a mess with Xara - but there is less clean up involved - and it's cheaper... )

Yes, it's the moderators and administrators that get the "spit" when something is perceived as "wrong"... The funny thing is that we never get "applause" when we clean up so that members don't have to wade through off-topic-ness - and more seriously - filth and muck. Here's a tidbit - just because you don't see it - it doesn't mean it wasn't here - it was cleaned up by the time you got here...

For being "insulted" - I'm insulted - this is not an ego trip... Believe me - I have things to do (my wife wakes me up with a slipper smack to the head every morning...) I'm simply here because of the amazing people that make this forum the most unselfish on the Web. Yes, so in that sense, I'm very selfish - I want to see what everyone has their say - and that everyone has a chance of being heard, and seen (in terms of their art work).

*Disclaimer* Risto is not perfect - I have had my knuckles slapped more than most... This "instructional PM" was just that...

In terms of gold medals awarded - how about the people that have contributed their time and knowledge - for the last 7 years (Talkgraphics - and even more so years with ("Talkgraphics" + i-us?) What about those members and medals? You know what - if you really care - a personal email or PM will go further... If I had to hand out medals for "contibuting" - it would be a really, really big bag that I would have to dig in to

Looking at this thread - it's so "off-topic" that is almost on another planet! (And I contributed a fraction to make it happen). But seriously, we are not kids fighting over Lego pieces here... Why not trust that the moderator and administrators are trying to make it work for everyone? Why not? I just don't get it...

Oh, lots words there... And if it's too many... Spend a day at least trying to read them all before posting, and no, English is not my first or second language, so I'm sure there are many things to correct for an English professor - but ft it's something you don' really "get" in terms of the message - feel free to PM me, and I will do my best to help you on the way.

As with everything else that I write at TG - I don't work for the Xara Group - I'm just a member (asked to help out) just like you are.

Risto
    Last edited by RTK; 25 August 2006 at 08:00 PM.
    IP

Well I guess I'm convinced by what you say Risto, I don't always see the broad picture and get carried away. Let me say thank you, to you and all the other "helpers " it is often taken for granted and not enough credit given. I hope the other "strayers" come to see the full picture unfolding as I do now.
    On a lighter note please ask your dear wife to give you an extra "skelp" for me with that slipper.

Norman.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
    Keep on posting cause I really enjoy your work and have even learnt from you, if you call burning you learning (again, my warped sense of humour)........frank
    Have you seen this:
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=6661

Thnx for the positive comments - I knew I wasn't all bad.
    IP

Thnx for the positive comments - I knew I wasn't all bad.
    I don't know about you but I was refering to your artisic ability. I have no idea about your personality And yes, I have visited that thread several times but that takes too much patience.

I'm feeling sorry for Risto today, sounds like he's having a bit of a bad day. I will admit, I misunderstood also when I though he cut Norms thread, but after visiting his site and seeing his sense of humour, I realized he's not an ogre and that I am probably heading towards getting my wings clipped pretty soon also. God, if that happens, will I have to change my name from Seagull to something like Snake, or worst, Worm.....well maybe Wormtail might be okay. Antony saids the boys and girls could use a good cheer, well, I don't mind saying I appreciate the work they do cause I really, really enjoy this forum and someday, maybe, I will fully understand the rules and regulations, but don't hold your breath boys and girls, don't hold your breath. And I would like to wish him a belated happy 10th aniversary. Maybe I'll even send them a wedding present......for when the slipper finally wears out perhaps a nice pair of steel capped boots ought to do the trick (hob-nailed steel capped boots)..........frank
    .............frank
    IP

I don't know about you but I was refering to your artisic ability. I have no idea about your personality And yes, I have visited that thread several times but that takes too much patience.
    Dunno about artistic ability - I have this neato piece of software which mostly does it all for me. Personality ain't so bad ... got software in me head for that. (Soft being the operative word)

I'm feeling sorry for Risto today, sounds like he's having a bit of a bad day. I will admit, I misunderstood also when I though he cut Norms thread, but after visiting his site and seeing his sense of humour, I realized he's not an ogre ...
    Yup I had a look-see, spent ages scrolling thru' all the images. Anyone that nutz canna be all bad, I reckon. Some good stuff in there.

. . . and that I am probably heading towards getting my wings clipped pretty soon also. God, if that happens, will I have to change my name from Seagull to something like Snake, or worst, Worm.....well maybe Wormtail might be okay.
    Stay with 'Seagull' - no bird does it like a seagull. On folks heads especially. And cars. Sure they do it deliberately. 'Tis a fact that they do it on white cars more than any other. That is not chance, so it must be deliberate.

Antony saids the boys and girls could use a good cheer ...
    I hear some folks are working on it ...
    Just don't fly away, okay?
    IP

Smile Re: I'm just bein' sociable

Look guys, I have always liked to maintain a family kind of atmosphere, but you need to consider that many people who visit and participate in the forums do not have fast connections and a large percentage speak English as a second or 3rd language.

For these people, having to weed through a lot of off topic chit chat is annoyinbg and off-putting. And most of these people are coming to the forums to find an answer to a specific question and not for a chat room experience.

There is also no necessity to merely rubber stamp what someone else has posted, for example, "Yes Gary, that is a good solution." If you have something constructive to post, by all means do.

There is an off topic conference where you folks can go and feel free to chat to your heart's content. But please keep your comments on topic in the Xtreme Conference.

We are not trying to rain on your parade, we are just trying to keep the dialog flow free and uncluttered.

Thanks for your understading and help here.

Gary
    IP

Done.
    IP

There is an off topic conference
    Is this where Bob Hahn posted his thread "what is this bug"? I always click on todays thread and and start reading and answering here, very rarely bother going into specific forums to find articles unless I'm searching for an older thread, since they all end up right here anyway. Is Gary saying that if I restrict myself to the Off-topic forum, even though it ends up here, I can't get into trouble. If so, sounds fair to me. See, I am trying to be good: I just have 59 years of being meself that is screwing me up. Once I install my new linux, I can ask questions there, I can post threads like "silly old men" there an nobody minds. I've already posted several threads there and if I can post my feeble drawing efforts and idiot babbling there with nobody getting annoyed (????) and the moderators don't mind, I will start all my new threads there. Just waiting for an okay from somebody............frank

p.s. I start very few threads; my ambition in life is to annoy, not stimulate
    Maybe Anthony can start a thread there so people can vote.....Is the Seagull 1. Annoying, 2. Very Annoying, 3. Intolerably Annoying or 4. Maud, go get my shotgun, thay silly seagull is buzzing overhead again
    Last edited by Seagull; 26 August 2006 at 06:05 PM.
    .............frank
    IP