Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Thumbs up Re: convert RGB to CMYK

Quote Originally Posted by zee
    minimiro,
    THANKS for the information. I will definitely be checking this out.
    Zee
    Thanks for asking that, zee. I tried to ask the same question in another thread where I said:

"Are there standard proceedures when using Xtreme to adjust and compensate for graphics going from RGB to CYMK print, or is it a trial and error thing for each page you do?"

But I guess my post was poorly written. Good to get the info though!

Default Re: convert RGB to CMYK

John

In the next Workbook (May 15) Gary Bouton has a Guest Tutorial that deals with color models and he has a very good example of various color spaces and the range of colors each can produce.

Gary

Mind reader .... !

Yes, I'll look forward to reading the workbook..

I am just in the middle of a new image with Xtreme that also brings up this ? for me too.....thanks Zee for the timeliness of your question. but, Gary, being so new to X I need to make sure I'm getting it--gotta print by sunday (14th).

I just discovered the
    Window>Show Printer Colors>Simulate Print Colors
    the pallette definately changed--so this must be CMYK colors enabled? (as mentioned by minimiro) my 'purple' changed to a 'red' as per your attachment. but then I used the color editor in combination with the new CMYK pallett and changed the colors back near more what they were. Am I risking the accurracy of color in my print compared to what I'm seeing?
    nance

Nance

Colors do change in CMYK mode as you have noticed. Bright greens and cyans become muted, purples become blue or reddish and loose a lot of their intensity.

So for CMYK output you are better off creating your colors in Simulate Print Colors.

The other factor is how accurate your display is. If your display is not well calibrated, the printed color can look markedly different. I am lucky to have a pretty reliable DELL flat panel monitor and Windows XP. So my screen color using the DELL profile is pretty accurate. My monitor is a touch warm (towards red-orange) but not enough to make a big difference. But I can predict when I print in CMYK that my colors will be a bit cooler.

Gary