Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Strange files appearing on my computer

I've gone to websites to search for these files, I've searched on Google and gone to the Norton Antivirus website but can't find any help with these files that occasionally show up on my root directory C:/. The files have the extension .--j. They are sequentially numbered as follows: Phile001.--j, Phile002.--j, etc. all the way up to Phile222.--j. These are huge in size ranging from 30 megs up to 2 gigs in size. Needless to say, they eat up all my hard drive space. The first time they appeared I did all the research I could to try and find out what they were and how they got there, but to no avail. Subsequently, I just deleted them and the problem seemed to be solved. But after a couple of weeks they appeared again, exactly as before, same names, same number of files, same sizes. Anybody got a clue how I can rid myself of this problem? I am computer functunally illiterate so I don't understand much about computers.
    Thanks if anyone can help.
    ron
    IP

Default Re: Strange files appearing on my computer

I recall that if you ran a chkdsk scan on a hard drive and something out of the oridinary was found, the OS (Windows) would save those chunks as file001.chk, file002.chk, etc. (or something like that) to retain those anamolies before automatically clearing and quarantining the area, so one could potentially retrieve the info later if need be. Perhaps you have some sort of software running that does a similar check on a schedule? If so, and that is what's going on, it may be an indication that your hard drive is failing. I'd definitely try to pin down the source.
    Lonnie
    IP

The files seem too big in size to be viruses, but nothing is certain of course.
    Check out what programs that run in the background may be causing this.
    Maybe you can run some kind of program to monitor your C:\ folder and find out what program creates them.
    IP

Here's a few things I would check.

Sequentially numbered files sound like either a log file or a backup file. Since they are so huge I would say they seem more like backup files. I've seen Microsoft backup files have --- in file extension name.

I would check to see if you have a scheduled task running periodically to backup your computer. If you do, see if the created dates of these files match to what ever scheduled task you might be running.

Also, try picking one of the files that is really small and opening it in a text editor like notepad. Sometimes if they aren't in binary, you can tell what application has created them. Careful though, if you pick a big one it will either take forever to open or lock your computer up.

Just a few things to try to start.

Good luck!

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?
    IP

Knightedduke. It looks like you're not the only one. Have a look at this link: http://filext.com/info/showthread.php?t=1698 It looks strangely like the TalkGraphics forum, but isn't. Weird. Anyway, they seem to have a thread discussing this very topic. No answers yet, but they might come up with something.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?
    IP

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Red,
    Actually that website posting was from me. One of my efforts to get help. Thanks for the help you guys, it's really appreciated.

ron
    IP

Wow, it looks like you are the only one with that problem then.

Good luck figuring it out though.

Red

IP

I'd also add that it might be a good idea to run a complete virus check anyway. Maybe it's just my suspicious nature, but those file names seem suspicious to me. Phile looks like a hacker/cracker type of naming convention.

Do you have a good firewall? Check that your computer hasn't been compromised by a trojan. The virus check should spot a trojan. If you have a wireless Internet connection, check that it's encrypted and password-protected. That file name set off alarm bells, that someone may be accessing your computer.

I hope I'm wrong, but an intruder was the worrisome thought that came to me as I read your problem. Good luck!
    IP