Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Tutorial/Wookbook requests

Thanks to all of you for your help, especially you Jens. I dl'd/installed and played JUST A TINY BIT with GIMP. Man oh man! What a program! I think it even extracted my paint shop pro special effects and added them to its own. I am just now learning Xara Xtreme and now you throw a new toy at me.
    Yikers!!!!!!
    (It sure seems like an amazing prg, i gotta say!)

Thanks again, Jens.

One more thing. Jens, you and someone else stated that you draw around an object and then use clipview to "cut it out." I've been drawing around it and using combine/intersect. What's the difference and the advantages and disadvantages of one way or the other?
    Last edited by -=Drifter=-; 24 February 2006 at 11:02 PM.

Red face Re: Tutorial/Wookbook requests

Well, this has certainly turned to an interesting thread!
    Jen, I printed out your links for freeware, etc. from I think the RIP topic I started. I looked at the Gimp website and thought I would have to take time to figure it all out. The above infomation will certainly help me. It looked a little scary ... been away from DOS to long I guess. I have XP now.
    Is there a Gimp room on this forum?
    Soooooo, much to learn and so little time.
    Have a great weekend everyone.
    Karen in Austin, TX

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Bob,

the difference between a cut out and a clip view: the cut out is fixed, that means you got a shaped pic (my word for image, bitmap, picture). The clip view gives you much more: you can remove the clip view, edit the shape or the pic, re-apply it. Or you click the keyhole in the center and can move or scale the pic, or you click the keyhole at the top left and can scale or edit the shape. Or you can use a pic and a vector, i.e. the character 'a' and throw them into a clipview. A clipview offers you almost unlimeted freedom to modify the objects/elements.

Karen,

no, there is no Gimp room here AFAIK. But search google for 'Gimp forum' - the result might be that you'll spend the next weeks on reading tips and tricks with the Gimp and watching the galleries.
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Gil,
    I'am kind of ahead of you!
    I joined a couple of Yahoo Groups on Gimp.

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

OK girls 'n guys,

looks like you want tutorials. Here you go:

http://www.gimptalk.com/index.html

It's the ultimate reference for the Gimp, including some tweaks for the GUI and how to use Photoshop 8bf filters inside Gimp

A very nice tutorial for brushed metal is here:

http://www.gimptalk.com/topic.php?a=v&t=483&f=8

still unsurpassed...
    Last edited by jens g.r. benthien; 25 February 2006 at 10:39 AM.
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Jens, thank you again... LOTS of tutorials over there.